Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Leave a tribute, a story or photograph about any of the 58,320 veterans killed or missing in the Vietnam War.
Record information is compiled from two databases provided by The National Archives:
- The Combat Area Casualties databases can be searched online at NARA's AAD website.
- The Coffelt database can also be searched online through AAD.
The data provided in the older databases does not always have the detail we are accustomed to today. For example, for racial categories, only American Indian, Caucasian, Malayan, Asian, African-American, and Not Available were included as options.
If you find missing or inaccurate information for someone, we encourage you to leave a comment with the additional or corrected data.
How the Interactive Vietnam Veterans Memorial was made
- At full size, The Wall image on Fold3 is about 460 feet wide (400,000 pixels wide by 12,500 pixels tall).
- We found 58,320 names inscribed on The Wall.
- There are about 70 names which are duplicates or misspellings.
- 8 names are women.
- 2,056 are listed as "body not recovered."
- Average age is 22.8 years old.
- 6,301 images were photographed by Peter Krogh
- Darren Higgins used six computers to stitch 1,494 images into a single 5 gigapixel image of The Wall.
Read more about the process in making this experience a reality online.