abt 1796 — Bullskin Township, PA
From the book, "History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania. pp 498-499 ("The Pennsville Regular Baptist Church, Bullskin Township")
Bullskin township was originally organized in 1784. Pennsville, the oldest hamlet in Bullskin township, is on the Mount Pleasant road, four miles from Connellsville and about a mile east from the Tyrone County line. At Pennsville and north of the village, a large tract of land was settled early by Peter Newmeyer. He died in 1836, aged 75 years, and was interred in the cemetery at the Baptist church. His daughter Betsey married Henry Strickler of Tyrone.
Asher Walker, a native of New Jersey, moved from New Jersey about 1796 and settled on Mounts' Creek, but later emigrated to Ohio where he died. One of his sons, John Walker, is a resident of Tyrone; and his son Asher Walker lives on Jacob's Creek in Bullskin township.
In 1823, after the final division of Bullskin township (Connellsville having been set off in 1822), there were living in Bullskin township the following property-owners: Daniel Laughery (laborer), Joseph Laughery (laborer), William Laughery (laborer), John Peppitt Sr. (farmer), John Peppitt Jr. (Wagoner), Allen Peppitt (farmer), Andrew Robertson (farmer), William Robertson (farmer), John Robertson (farmer), James Robertson (farmer), Francis Walker (farmer), Charles Walker (wagoner), Thomas Walker (stone-mason) and Asher Walker (farmer), among others. In 1830 the population of Bullskin township was 1,231.
Soon after 1800 the settlers living in the western part of Bullskin (which includes Pennsville) and in the eastern part of Tyrone united to build a meeting-house which should be consecrated to the worship of God by any and all, irrespective of denomination. It stood on land leased perpetually from the John Shank farm, a portion of the lot being set apart for cemetery purposes. The house was of logs, with seats made of slabs, having legs of saplings inserted in auger-holes. The pulpit was simply a board nailed on two upright pieces of lumber. In the course of years the house was weatherboarded, provided with a ceiling, better seats, and a pulpit which was a very elaborate affair. It was made of wild cherry, the different parts being held together by wooden pins. It was elevated abut six feet above the floor and had a huge sounding-board. On either side were places for the reading- and singing-clerks. The building was commonly designated at the "White Meeting-House", and was the regular place of service of the Baptists living along Jacob's Creek. These first had their membership with the church at Connellsville, and after 1828 with the Mount Pleasant Church. Among the members of that period were Allen and John Pippett and their wifes, and Sarah Walker. One of the first ministers was the Rev. James Estep, who may properly be termed the father of the church at Pennsville.