From the marker:
Gregg's Brigade, Hill's Light Division
Brigadier General Maxcy Gregg, Commanding.
1st South Carolina Infantry, (Provisional Army)
12th, 13th and 14th South Carolina Infantry, and
1st South Carolina Rifles.
September 17, 1862.
Gregg's Brigade formed line about 3 P.M. in the fields southwest of this and advanced into the southwest corner of the 40 acre cornfield, about 100 yards east of this point, where it encountered and repulsed the advance of the extreme left of the Ninth Corps. An effort to pursue into the field beyond was checked, and the Brigade fell back to the line now marked by this road, where it remained until the early morning of the 19th, when it retired to Blackford's Ford and was the last Infantry Brigade of the Confederate Army to recross the Potomac.