Gordon's Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry
Overview:Gordon's Cavalry Regiment [also called 4th Regiment] successor to C. A. Carroll's Cavalry Regiment, was organized in September, 1863. It served in General Cabell's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department, and took an active part in the conflicts at Poison Spring and Marks' Mills where twenty-one percent of the 117 engaged were disabled. Later it participated in Price's Missouri Expedition and reported 106 casualties. During the spring of 1865 it disbanded. The field officers were Colonel Anderson Gordon, and Majors J. A. Arrington and William H. Fayth.
Carroll's Cavalry Regiment [also called 1st and 2nd Regiment] was organized during the early summer of 1861. The unit served in the Army of Arkansas, then the Trans-Mississippi Department, and participated in the battles at Wilson’s Creek, Prairie Grove, Springfield, and Devil’s Backbone. In September, 1863, it was reorganized and became Gordon's Arkansas Cavalry Regiment. Its commanders were Colonels Charles A. Carroll and Lee L. Thompson, and Lieutenant Colonel J.A. Johnston.