Early Evans families were Quakers and whenever they moved they checked in with their Monthly Meeting House (church) thus providing good records still available today.
Squire Evans also kept records and according to one of his journals, he said a Robert Evans born about 1725 came from Wales prior to 1750 with some of his brothers and located in Pennsylvania near where Pittsburgh (Chester Co.) is today. Some moved on to South Carolina and later to Georgia near Milledgeville. Many of them didn't care for the religious discrimination the Quakers were receiving and decided the movement to the Northwest was a means of escape. Plans were made. Supposedly our Joseph, (Squire Evan's grandfather) had a brother Robert who died before they got started, but some of his children came on ahead including his son Joseph, who later settled in West Milton, Ohio.
Our Joseph Evans was born in August 20, 1749 near Newberry, S. C., name of parents unknown. On November 17, 1773 he married Esther Buffington who had been born Feb. 1, 1751. To this union were born 13 children, one of whom was Robert Evans (Robert Milton's father.) Sometime during these years they moved to Georgia, as our Robert was born in Millidgeville, Georgia on Feb. 7, 1789.
According to reuniuon notes, they traveled in a big farm wagon. Wrightsboro, Georgia (near Augusta) M M records show that Josphy, Esther, sons Robert and Aaron, and daughers Margartet, Mary & Sarah left there on April 6, 1805. They arrived at the Miami MM (Waynesville, Ohio in Warren County) on June 12, 1806 (Hinshaw). In 1809 they were registered at Elk M. M. in West Elkton, Preble County, and then on June 12, 1810 transfered to West Brandh M.M. at West Milton, Ohio. 1812 finds them at Millcreek MM on County Line Road, near Frederick, until they were disowned. Some historians say they came in 1801 passing the site of the present city of Dayton, Ohio enroute to LaPorte, Indiana where they lived until 1804, when they returned to Ohio settling on the county line between Montgomery & Miami Counties. Land was later referred to as Ira Jackson or Martin Eidemiller farm. This property was owned by John Johnson in 1900 & the one story double log home by the Evans family stood on the site where Johnson's large brick residence was. Nearest neighbor was Mr. Pierson who lived 6 miles away.
Joseph died Aug. 31, 1828 and Esther on May 30, 1820, both buried in Mill Creek Cemetery on County Line Road near Frederick.
Joseph's son, Robert was about 15 years old when he finally setled in Montgomery Co., Ohio. When he reached maturity he entered Government land securing a farm on the "county line: where he built a typical southern home, two stories in height.
Robert married Ester Jenkins (born 1794) daugher of Thomas Jenkins and Maria Gaunt on Juuly 2, 1812 at Mill Creek. They later sold their home to advantage and bought land in Miami County on which Tippecanoe City now lays. The 104 acres was purchased from Sally and David Clark for $700.00 - deed filed Oct. 25, 1828. At that time all the land was a thicket except where Indians had made small clearings. After clearing the land with his sons, he built two houses on the south side of the state road from West Milton to Springfield (571 today). One was located where Monroe Federal Savings & Loan is now in Tipp City and the other was at the west side of the current Methodist church parking lot. About this time the construction of the Miami & Erie Canal brought about many changes. Workers on the canal led a different life style from the simple and devout Quakers and Robert feared for their influence on his sons and daughters. By now Robert and Esther had 10 children. Esther died on January 20, 1835 and is buried in Pearson Cememtery west of Tipp City on Peters Road. On Nov. 26, 1835 Robert married Esther's cousin, Mary Jenkins (born Sept. 14, 1808), daughter of Jesse Jenkins and Hannah Russell. After they had their first child they decided it was time to move their family elsewhere, so on June 27, 1839 Robert and Mary exchanged farms with his brother-in-law John Clark and Harriett Jenkins Clark for $6700. He acquired the NW one quarter of Section 28, Monroe Twp - probably on Evanston Road - an 80 acre tract of land. Robert and Mary were parents of 6 children, one of whom was Robert Milton Evans. Robert was a vigorous man until an advanced age. On this farm Robert died on June 25, 1863 and Mary on Aug. 10, 1876. Both are buried in Pearson Cemetery.
John Clark whom Robert sold his farm to, saw fine potential in the canal and state road intersection. He platted and laid out a small settlement of Tippecanoe name after President William Harrison's campaing "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too". His village grew and combined with her sister village, Hyattsville, into the present town, Tipp City, Ohio.