Tennessee the Volunteer State 1769?1923: Volume 4
Dr. Oren Austin Oliver, one of the leading orthodontists of the south, was born to Stonewall Jackson and Susan Elizabeth (Givens) Oliver, at Sinking Creek, Craig county, Virginia, August 16, 1887. As a boy he attended the public schools and the Maywood high school and later the Virginia Polytechnique Institute. Then deciding upon the profession of dentistry, he entered the Atlanta Dental School, Atlanta, Georgia, and received the degree of D. D. S. from that institution in 1909. While in Atlanta he studied for two years in the Atlanta School of Medicine.
The Doctor then located in Covington, Virginia, and practiced general dentistry for five years, during which time he was a member of the Virginia State Dental Association. While residing in Covington, he was a member also of a regiment of infantry known as the Richmond Light Infantry Blues. In 1913 Dr. Oliver took postgraduate work in Harvard University; in 1914, in Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois; and in 1915-16, in the Dewey School of Orthodontia, then located in Chicago. After completing this course he was made professor of orthodontia in the Dewey School. [p.907]
In 1917 Dr. Oliver came to Nashville and established the practice of orthodontia. In the fall of that same year he was made professor of orthodontia in Vanderbilt University and was elected vice president of the Dewey School of Orthodontia, which school was moved to New York in 1921. He has a comprehensive knowledge of the scientific principles underlying his work and is a recognized authority on the subject in which he is specializing.
Just before coming to Nashville in 1917, Dr. Oliver was married to Miss Floy L. Huntley, daughter of Hon. George W. Huntley of Covington, Virginia, and of this union there have been born two sons, Oren Austin, Jr., and William Huntley.
Dr. Oliver, during the time of the World war, was secretary of the Preparedness League of American Dentists and state chairman of Tennessee, having supervision of the dentists on the local examining boards. He was also a first lieutenant in the Dental Reserve Corps. He is a K. C. C. H., a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, having been president of the Shrine Club in 1921. He is affiliated with the Phi Chi, Psi Omega, Phi Kappa Sigma, medical, dental and literary fraternities. He is a member of the Hermitage Club, Nashville Golf and Country Club, Commercial Club, Richland Golf Club, and is one of the board of directors of the Nashville Automobile Club and on the board of the Vanderbilt Athletic Association. He was president of the Tennessee State Dental Association in 1922, having served formerly as vice president; is a member of the American Medical Association and the American Society of Orthodontists; is president of the Southern Society of Orthodontists and past president of the Dewey Alumni Society of Orthodontists. He is a member of the Academy of Medicine, of the Tennessee State Medical Association, and the Nashville Dental Association. He is past president of the Nashville Society of Dental Surgeons and is a member of the executive council of the Vanderbilt Dental School.
Dr. Oliver has never been content with mediocrity but has always endeavored to attain the greatest possible degree of perfection in his work; and he is an exponent of all that is highest and best in his profession and of all that is worthy and honorable in his relations with his fellowmen.