The Mount Zion Preservation Project Footnote Page was started in order to facilitate the flow of information from those participating in the research. The information shared here will be gathered by a team of Genealogists, Family Historians, Curators and Hobbyists who believe in the speedy transcribing of cemeteries especially those cemeteries that house the graves of African-Americans living during the Civil War Period.
The Mount Zion Cemetery Preservation Project
TThe Mount Zion Cemetery is composed of two separate adjacent cemeteries, the old Methodist Burying Ground and the Female Union Band Society Graveyard. The two cemeteries equally share the three acres of land. There is no fence or other visible demarcation separating the two cemeteries which over time have become known as the Mount Zion Cemetery. The Mount Zion Cemetery is a physical reminder of African American life and the evolving free black culture in the District of Columbia from the earliest days of the city to the present. The land for the Old Methodist Episcopal Burying Ground was purchased in 1808 by the Dumbarton Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The membership of the Dumbarton Street M.E. Church was fifty percent black, consisting of both free blacks and slaves. At the time, Georgetown was about thirty percent African American. In 1816 the black members of the Dumbarton Street M.E. Church formed the Mount Zion Methodist Church. Eventually the Mount Zion Methodist Church t
- fallon15 - Anyone can contribute
- View count:
- 75 (recently viewed: 4)