`page.data.shortTitle || page.data.title`
- Conflict: War of 1812
- Records: 467,838
Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service
Pictures & Records
- Publication Title:
- Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service
- Content Source:
- The National Archives of the UK
- Published on Fold3:
- April 20, 2016
- Last Update:
- June 28, 2016
- Registers and other records providing details on soldiers and officers in British military units that served in Canada.
- Airmen Died in the Great War
- Australia WWI Military Book Collection
- Australia WWI Service Records
- Australia WWII Service Records
- Biographies of Fallen British Officers
- British Army Lists
- British Army Recipients of the Military Medal
- British Army WWI Pension Records
- British Army WWI Service Records
- British Jewry Book of Honour
Add your story…
This collection contains registers and other records providing details on soldiers and officers in British military units that served in Canada.
These registers include description and succession books, returns of officers' services, casualty returns and regimental entry books, which include the names of enlisted men with details such as age, place of birth, trade and service. The records cover various periods between the years 1756 to 1878, with some returns of officers' services in the Royal Engineers up to the mid-1900s. Some registers include a nominal index, either at the beginning or end of the volume.
What You Can Find in the Records
These records document things such as enlistment, commissions and appointments, dates of service, service history, casualties, desertion, pay and pensions, and discharges. The list of details that one might find in these records is comprehensive, although the discharge information might be stressed even more, such as when, where, and why the pension was awarded and from time to time, the amount of the pension is noted.
Forms and records vary, but they may contain the following details:
- service dates and places (enlistment, promotion, discharge, etc.)
- birth date
- birth place
- physical description
- desertion rate
- death rate
On Fold3, the records are organized by unit, then date range. You can use the browse function to see what units are included in this collection and which years records are available for them. Some records are in French, and a few are in German.
"Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900." Ancestry.com, n.d. Web. <http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3253>.