`page.data.shortTitle || page.data.title`
- Conflict: War of 1812
- Records: 5,143,560 · 2,084,499 added last month
Pension Numerical Index
Pictures & Records
- Publication Title:
- Pension Numerical Index
- Content Source:
- The National Archives
- Publication Number:
- Record Group:
- Published on Fold3:
- April 4, 2013
- Last Update:
- May 26, 2017
- NARA A1158. Pensions indexed by number for Army or Navy service in the Civil War and later, 1860-1934.
- Admiralty Records, Key West
- American Battle Monuments Commission
- Anti-Slavery Manuscripts Collection
- Army Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914
- Army Registers, 1798-1969
- Bayland Orphan Home Records
- Board of Commissioners - Emancipation of Slaves in DC
- Boston Public Library Collections
- Bounty-Land Warrant Applications Index
- Brady Civil War Photos
Add your story…
The cards give the name of the veteran or dependant who had the number as an application number or as a certificate number. Each number could be used four times for four different people. For application or original numbers, the card also shows the certificate number.
NARAtions, one of the blogs of the National Archives, published a helpful perspective on the Numerical Index to Pensions in Family Tree Friday: Pension Indexes Examined.
Explore this title
From the following Fold3 title page, you can search, browse, and see what others are finding within these documents:
Ordering pension files from NARA
While many pension files are already available on Fold3, you can use the information in the Pension Numerical Index to order files from the National Archives - NARA. This page will tell you where and how to order military service and pension records.