DR. CLAUDE VAN BIBBER

DR. CLAUDE VAN BIBBER

TOPIC

Orthopaedic Surgeon

RESEARCH NOTES

  • MARYLAND
<div>IDENTIFICATION: Isaac VanBibber and Hester Op den Graeff Jacob Isaacs VanBibber and Christina ____ Henry VanBibber and Catherine Ann Bougard Jacobus (James) VanBibber and Ann Laroun Isaac VanBibber and Ann Chew Washington VanBibber and Lucretia Emory Washington Chew VanBibber and Josephine Chatard Claude VanBibber

Dr. Claude Van Bibber
Born at Baltimore, June 27, 1853. A.B., Georgetown University, 1874; M.D.,
University of Maryland, 1877; Founder, Dispensary for Nervous Diseases,
October, 1878, and Orthopaedic Surgeon there, 1878-90; Visiting Physician,
St. Agnes Hospital, 1878-93, and to the Home of the Friendless, 1881-;
Visiting Surgeon, St. Joseph's Hospital, 1895-. 9 East Read Street,
Baltimore.

From the Internet (Eugene F. Cordell, Medical Annals of Maryland Baltimore:
Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of the State of Maryland, 1903)

SOME FAMILY HISTORY:
The Van Bibbers came originally from Utrecht, Holland, and settled on part of " Bohemia Manor " in Cecil County, Maryland. Some of the descendants of these settlers moved to Baltimore, and went into the shipping business at Felts Point, then a rival of Baltimore, but now part of it. They were very successful, and built a handsome house on Thames Street, the woodwork of which was secured in recent years by J. Alexis Shriver, and taken to his home at " Olney", Harford County, Md.
After having amassed considerable money at Fells Point, Washington Van Bibber (1778-1849) and his wife Lucretia Emory, moved to " Avondale", in Carroll County, Md.. a few miles beyond Westminster, and took up the home of Legh Master, who had an iron furnace there, and who in a fit of anger pushed one of his colored servants into a burning furnace.

While at Avondale the Van Bibbers. through Isaac Van Bibber, just 100 years ago-1844-as a result of his collections, built the Episcopal Church in Westminster. All the Van Bibbers of Avondale are buried in this church yard. And there they reinterred the body of Legh Master, originally buried at Avondale."

Dr. W. Chew Van Bibber, one of the brothers, however, moved to Baltimore, and was for many years a very successful doctor on Franklin St., residing where the, present Y. M. C. A. building now stands. Miss Alice Van Bibber, one of his daughters, lives on Bolton Street. Baltimore.

Isaac Van Bibber was born January 17. 1810, studied law and was admitted to the bar; spent three years in European travel, returned to "Avondale", and died there September 28, 1847

</div>

Additional Info
Owner:
bgill -Contributions private
Created:
5/1/2007
Modified:
5/1/2007
View count:
56 (recently viewed: 1)