- Dunwoody grew up the daughter of a career Army officer and lived in Germany and Belgium growing up.
- First woman to command a battalion in the 82nd Airborne Division in 1992.
- First female general officer in 2000.
- First woman to command the Combined Arms Support Command at Fort Lee, Virginia in 2004.
- First female soldier to achieve three-star rank since Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy, the former Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence.
- First woman in U.S. military history to achieve the rank of four-star General
- General Dunwoody has commanded at every level, including the 226th Maintenance Company at Fort Sill, OK; the 5th QM Detachment (ABN) in Kaiserslautern, Germany; the 407th Supply and Service Battalion/ 782d Main Support Battalion (MSB) at Fort Bragg, NC; the 10th Division Support Command (DISCOM) at Fort Drum, NY; the 1st Corps Support Command at Fort Bragg, NC; the Military Traffic Management Command (MTMC)/Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) in Alexandria, VA; and the Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM) at Fort Lee, VA. She most recently served as Deputy Commanding General, AMC.
Other Honors:1998 Recipient of the Military Distinguished Order of Saint Martin (Army Quartermaster Corps) 2001 Distinguished Alumna for Cortland State SUNY 2002 Inducted as a Distinguished Member of the Quartermaster Regiment 2004 Recipient of the National Defense Transportation Association’s DoD Distinguished Service Award 2007 Recipient of Military Order of the World Wars (MOWW) Distinguished Service Award 2008 First female four-star general in the United States Armed Services 2012 Inducted into the Quartermaster Hall of Fame 2012 Recipient Ancient Order of Saint Martin (Army Quartermaster Corps)