JACOB ADAMS FLANDERS

JACOB ADAMS FLANDERS

TOPIC

REVOLUTIONARY WAR

SERVICE RECORD & BIO

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE

Jacob Adams5 FLANDERS (139.Benjamin4, 107.Thomas3, 98.Steven, II2, 97.Steven, I1) was born 25 Jul 1756 in Chester, NH. Jacob died 6 Dec 1841 in Hardin Co., KY, at the age of 85.

Jacob was a Revolutionary War soldier in Col.Joseph Cilley's Regt., Nathaniel Hutchin's Co.,1st Btln., NH Continental line, under the command of General Sullivan.

He fought at Flatbush, Trenton, Bunker Hill & was present at the surrender of Cornwallis & Burgoyne. He returned to Weare, NH after the war & later moved to Ontario Co., NY.

He bought land from the Holland Land Co. in 1816 and traded it to Gideon Granger for Kentucky land & moved with his family to Upton, Larue Co., KY. around 1816/17. The lots he bought were 57, 58, & 59 located in Honeoye Lake, Ontariio Co., NY. He is listed there in the 1800 and 1810 Census of Ontario Co., NY. He applied for and received a Revolutionary War Pension in 1820. Jacob and his family continued on to KY and are first mentioned there in 1818. He died 6 Dec., 1841. His son Elisha and his son George presented themselves in court to attest to his death. His burial place is unknown and is not listed in most of the cemetery records of Hardin, Hart, Larue or Nelson Counties, KY.

It may be, that he and his wife are buried in NY with his brothers. Dawood's research suggests that Jacob came with General Sullivan to the Ontario Co., NY area during the War of 1812. His service record does not reflect service during this period, and his advanced age makes it doubtful. His son George Washington Flanders is supposed to have served in the 1812 conflict, but no service record can be found of such service. In the History of Ontario Co., NY published in 1876, page 229, Jacob Flanders came through the Genesee country with General Sullivan's group in 1779, during the Revolutionary War. Like many other soldiers, he saw that the land was good, and returned after the war and settled on the north part of a farm owned by J.G. Briggs, in 1876. A hand-hewned log house built by him stood upon the place for many years. The old soldier soon saw the interest attached to anything related to Sullivan's expedition, and delighted to tell the old settlers of incidences of his own observation. He spoke of the warning cannon shot which "shuck" consternation to the Indians, who would scatter in every direction, and could be seen crossing the opening on the run. He affirmed the truth of the traditional burial of a cannon near the foot of the lake near the outlet, and often searched for it, but so changed had become the country since his first visit, that his efforts were not successful. Jacob Adams Flanders was a carpenter by "the scribe rule", and erected many a building now standing. He took part in the Kentucky exodus, there followed his calling and there died. His son John removed to Burks Co., PA where he married and settled.


Additional Info
Owner:
bgill -Contributions private
Created:
4/25/2007
Modified:
4/26/2007
View count:
65 (recently viewed: 1)