The National Woman's Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, Inc., is a patriotic organization whose purpose is to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic. This group was organized on July 25 and 26, 1883 in Denver, Colorado, and incorporated by Public Act of the 87th Congress on September 7, 1962. The National Woman's Relief Corps' web site is located at: http://www.suvcw.org/WRC/index.htm
The initials F. C. L. shown on the top bar of the badge represents the Womans Relief Corps' motto of Fraternity, Charity and Loyalty. This particular badge was originally owned by Nancy Ann (Davis) Murphy. She was the wife of Moses James "Jimmy" Murphy, who lived near Swayzee, in Grant County, Indiana. On the back of the badge is inscribed by the jeweler: Patented May 4 and Sept. 28, 1896. The badge was passed down through the family and remains in the original jeweler's box. On the top of the box is printed:
Joseph K. Davison's Sons
210 S. 13th Street
On the bottom of the box are the initials W. R. C. (Womans Relief Corps).