by Craig R. Scott, CG
This series of images includes reports of morale, of efficiency, and of operations; correspondence; daily and weekly intelligence summaries; strength reports, returns, orders of battle; and maps and charts, which document the activities of the American Expeditionary Force, North Russia.
In June 1918, the Allied Supreme War Council voted for military intervention at Murmansk and Archangel in North Russia by a force of mixed nationals under British command in support of the White Army in the Russian Civil War against the Bolshevik (Red Army) forces. In July 1918, President Woodrow Wilson agreed to furnish American troops for the intervention. The American “Murmansk Expedition” consisted of the 339th Infantry Regiment, the 1st Battalion of the 310th Engineers, 337th Field Hospital, and 337th Ambulance Company, all elements of the 85th Infantry Division, also known as the Custer Division. In August 1918, the expedition, consisting of 143 officers and 4,344 enlisted men sailed from England for Archangel. Arriving in September, it deployed along a front 450 miles long, extending from Onega in the west, to Pinega in the east.
The North Russia Transportation Corps Expeditionary Forces, consisting of the 167th (Operations) and 168th (Maintenance) companies, were sent to Murmansk in March and April 1819 to operate and maintain the Murmansk Railway.
Early in 1919, President Wilson decided to withdraw American forces from North Russia. By August 5, 1919, all American forces had been withdrawn and Headquarters, AEF, North Russia, ceased to exist.
The Historical Branch, War Plan Division, 1918 – 1921, began collecting and classifying the material included in this publication in about 1920. Its successor, the Historical Section of the Army War College, continued to collect material during the 1920s and 1930s.