<a name="I33610"></a>Noyes, John (1720 - 1770) - male b. 20 APR 1720 in Abington, Plymouth, Massachusetts
d. 30 MAY 1770 in Pembroke, Merrimack, New Hampshire
father: Noyes, Samuel (1691 - 1729)
mother: Poore, Hannah (1692 - ) The Poore genealogy erroneously states that Joseph Noyes married Abigail, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Poore. The records of Rowley say that John Noyes of Haverhill married Abigail Poore of Rowley, 11 Jun 1741. The history of Pembroke says that John, son of Samuel and Hannah (Poore) Noyes, of Abington married Abigail Poor. After the death of his father, his uncle Samuel Poor of Rowley was appointed his guardian, 1736. He settled in Pembroke, at what was then called the "Ox Bow". After his death, his son Benjamin was appointed administrator of his estate, which consisted of the home in Bow, valued at £115; an island in the Merrimac River, £9; house and farm in Pembroke, £170; personal property £92. He was the progenitor of the largest branch of the family from the fourth generation, having eight sons, who had seventy-five children. It has been said that Moses, their seventh son, married and lived in Bow, N.H., had four sons, and that he was drowned in the Merrimac River. No known descendents have been traced.
John was 9 years old when his father died. John left Abington and was sent to live in Rowley with his uncle Samuel Poor (Hen3, John2) who was appointed his guardian. Abigail was John's first cousin. After they married they moved (in the summer of 1742) to Suncook (Pembrook) NH where they were among the first settlers of that town. On 25 Aug 1745 John received a deed (v.32, p.382-4) for 18 acres of land (lot #4) from the Suncook proprietors. John had agreed in 1742 to settle in town and work as a blacksmith for 10 years in return for the land. Up until 1763 John was usually referred to (on deeds) as a blacksmith. He was also called a yeoman (farmer), a physician (1753), a gentleman, an innkeeper (1759) and a Justice of the Peace (Apr 1763). John received a license from the town to run a tavern on 5 Apr 1754. After 1763 he was referred to as Esquire. Suncook was granted by Massachusetts to a group of soldiers on 6 Aug 1728. New Hampshire, which also claimed the land, granted it to a group from Stratham. NH called the town Bow and divided it into lots in 1733. Suncook had been into lots (in 1728) by Massachusetts and was being settled. The lots did not coincide with one another. This led to land disputes for many years after. John bought land from the Bow proprietors in 1758 and 1759 (lots (1-2), (2-20), and (#46) to settle claims against his land. The ownership of the land had been settled in favor NH (Bow) and against Suncook on 5 Mar 1740. NH passed the Bow Act to force the Suncook settlers into compliance. In 1756 John Noyes was chosen (forced) by NH to collect money from them (or he would have to pay). Nobody did anything. NH finally came to terms with the settlers. The area was alternately called Suncook and Bow. Most of the settlements were on the east side of the Merrimack River. John Noyes presented a town petition to the NH General Court in Jan 1757 asking that the land east of the river be renamed Pembrook. This request was granted. The area west of the river became modern Bow. John owned intervale land (riverbank area) on both sides of the Merrimack River. This land was good for farming and grazing and this is what he used the land for. He also owned: 1) at least 11 of the Bow lots, 2) land along the Suncook, Soucook and Turkey Rivers and 3) land in nearby Allenstown, Starkstown, Moblytown, Boscowan and Dunbarton. The intervale lots were about 15 acres each and the Bow lots 40 acres. He had part ownership in a mill on the Turkey River in 1760. John's home lot was near the present center of Pembrook (lot #4 Suncook, (1-7) Bow). His blacksmith shop was probably here also. He lived here (and on lot #34) until 1768, when he was said to have been from either Suncook, Bow or Pembrook (deeds, court records 1745-68). He moved to modern Bow on the west side of the river in 1769, just before his death in 1770. Deeds show that John was a grantee 50 times paying £18,119 and a grantor 17 times receiving L9,700. He seems to have accumulated more land than he sold. This discrepancy is not explained in the inventory of his estate. He bought 50% of lot (1-7) from Simon4 Dearborn (yeoman) of Epping NH on 6 Feb 1759 for £107 10s. John4 McMurphy witnessed a deed (21 Apr 1755) to him for lot #20. Sons Benjamin, Samuel and John were used as witnesses on deeds after 1759. He sold land to his oldest sons: 1) Benjamin (gentleman) - lots #53, #54, 60 acres, on 11 Feb 1764 for £3,000 with 2 houses and a barn, 2) John (yeoman) - lots #47, #48, #49, 60 acres, on 21 Oct 1765 for £90 and 3) Samuel (yeoman) - lot (2-9), 40 acres, on 29 Aug 1768 for £100 with a barn. Wife Abigail cosigned a deed with John on 13 Nov 1767. John appeared on many court records. He was a plaintiff 17 times seeking £1,998 in damages and was sued as a defendant 9 times (for a total of £2,053). John and Abigail had 75 grandchildren. Son Benjamin administered John's estate. On 25 Aug 1770 an inventory was taken. The estate was valued at £386 10s 8p. It consisted of his homestead in Bow, a farm in Pembrook, an island in the Merrimack River and personal property. Some of the animals he owned were: horses, oxen, 6 cows, 2 calves, pigs and 22 sheep. His tools included hoes, spades, a pitch fork, hammers, a grindstone, a loom, a spinning wheel and spools. He owned equipment for farming: yokes, plows, harrows, saddles and bridles. Household items included kitchen utensils, clothes, furniture and bedding. Other items listed were: a large bible, law books, hymn books, a clock, a canoe, tin ware, pewter, a hat and a wig, a writing stand, 4 bells and 10 bottles of liquor.
spouse: Poore, Abigail (1721 - 1814)
- m. 11 JUN 1741 in Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts
----------child: Noyes, Benjamin (1742 - 1811)
----------child: Noyes, John (1744 - 1825)
----------child: Noyes, Samuel (1746 - 1812)