In 1685, Indian trader, founder of South Carolina's rice industry and well known explorer Dr. Henry Woodward left Charleston traveling through Creek territory down the Chattahoochee river to the falls between present day Columbus, Ga. and Phenix City, Ala. His mission was to induce the Creeks to trade with the British and thus reduce the influence the Spanish had over the Creek Indians. A "factory" or trading post was set up at Coweta falls, making that Creek town very influencial in years to come. Woodward set up a relationship with traffic in British goods which stretched through Sandtown on the Chattahoochee in Dekalb County, back to Charleston, S.C.
The Spanish were furious and chased the South Carolinians all over Georgia, burning Indian villages, taking retribution for this insult. The result was the Creek Indians began moving closer to the South Carolina border and the British goods, and in one case abandoning Florida completely by the late 1680s...leaving the state with no Indian population whatsoever. In 1739, James Oglethorpe made the journey to Coweta Falls, to increase trade with the Creeks at the expense of the Spanish. As the Georgia colony grew, the Creek found themselves returning to the waters of the Chattahoochee where they would remain until 1836.