Photos (8) Add Images
Places mentioned on this page
Connected Pages Add Page
Links Add Link
Share Stanley's Memorial page on Facebook
About this page
Anyone can contribute to this page. Please sign in or sign up—it's free.
Stanley Szwast, Engineering on B-25's, 321st Bomb Grou, 445th BS, MTO /WWII
1943-45 | North Africa, Italy, Corsica
*****321st Bomb Group, 445th Bomb Squadron, Stanley J. Szwast, Engineering. #33019599. Stanley joined the AAC on 12 May, 1942 at Altoona, PA. Born in 1918 and living in Cambria Counry, Pa. He was working in the mechanical treatment of metals (rolling, stamping, pressing, etc.) He had completed 8th Grade and was single at Enlistment. Stanley was highly qualified for the Engineering section, most especially of the B-25 Mitchell Medium Bomber. He was assigned to the 321st Bomb Group and then to the 445th Bomb Squadron. He went "Over-There" in Feb. 1943 on the USS Stanton to North Africa, Italy, Corsica and Fano, Italy. He remained until the war ended in Europe . Stanley departed for the ZI on 7 May, 1945. (Of the items that remain) ..... there is a pass for "Leave at U.S.A.A.F. Rest Camp at Rome", expiring 26 July 1944. Photo's and Stories are being provided by his proud son Thomas J Szwast. ******
Barbara Ennis Connolly, 321st Bomb Group Historian in Honor of my Dad/447th BS T/Sgt Edward C Ennis. (1914-2005) PRINCESSBARBI_B25@msn.com
321st BG, 445th BS, Stanley Szwast, Engineering
1943 | Mediterranean
"The ENGINEERING" part of maintaining a B-25 Mitchell Medium Bomber was practically unlimited. Even at forward Air Bases on the front line of battle, when the skills were needed, they were improvised successfully utilizing the parts, pieces and salvage of other B-25 aircraft to repair and replace and maintain a flight worthy Combat Ship. The inventive mind of a B-25 Engineer, Mechanic and ground crew was nearly limitless. -B
TRAINING OF GROUND TECHNICIANS AND SERVICE PERSONNEL
DURING the war the AAF required four technical specialists for every man who flew. The ratio of total ground personnel to flying personnel was nearly seven to one, and for every man actually committed to air combat there were sixteen individuals who served within the AAF on some noncombat assignment.1 Individual training of technical specialists was the responsibility of the Technical Training Command (TTC) from its establishment in March 1941 until July 1943, when its successor, the Training Command, inherited the job. In addition, the Air Service Command provided individual training for many of the specialists required for its own activities,* and the four continental air forces found it necessary to operate schools for special training of personnel of other arms and services on assignment with the AAF (ASWAAF). In this last category, however, the men were frequently assigned to the branch of origin--for example, the Signal Corps or the Chemical Warfare Service--for individual training and return to the AAF. Unit training, and such combined training of combat and maintenance organizations as might be necessary, was conducted by the continental air forces or by the ASC.
In the early days of the Air Service, practically all enlisted technicians, whether or not they were concerned directly with the maintenance of aircraft, had been known as airplane mechanics. But as the work of technicians became more and more specialized, the term "airplane mechanic" was gradually restricted to men who maintained
airframes, aircraft engines, and accessories integral to the plane; these accessories included such equipment as propellers, hydraulic and electrical systems, carburetors, and generators. Technicians who specialized in such equipment as armament, cameras, and radio devices--equipment not considered strictly as parts of the aircraft--came to be known by special names and were trained in separate programs. The primary responsibility for aircraft maintenance in the AAF during the war belonged to teams of enlisted mechanics, each team working under the direction of a noncommissioned officer called a crew chief. Before the war it had been customary for each pilot to supervise the maintenance of his own airplane, but after 1941 this responsibility was assumed by a nonflying squadron engineering officer. Maintenance activities in the squadron were limited to the first and second echelon, that is to say, to regular servicing of aircraft, routine inspections and adjustments, and minor repairs. For the more difficult jobs, including periodic overhauls, the squadron depended upon depots and subdepots serving the needs of more than one combat unit for what was officially designated third and fourth echelon maintenance.* Though the distinction between these several levels of service depended in no small part upon a difference in equipment, some of the depot work required more highly trained specialists.
PRINCESSBARBI_B25@msn.com 321st BG Historian (2007-___) Please email me with any additional information or identification of the other men.