Photos (4) Add Images
Places mentioned on this page
Connected Pages Add Page
Links Add Link
Share Robert's Memorial page on Facebook
About this page
Anyone can contribute to this page. Please sign in or sign up—it's free.
The Life of Robert Sherrard Kuykendall, Jr.
BIOGRAPHY: Born and raised in Moorefield, Hardy County, WV. He attended Moorefield High School and was enrolled in Augusta Military Academy from 1932-1933.
MILITARY HISTORY: On May 14, 1942 he enlisted in the Army. He served in the 349th Engineers as Sgt. 157 2nd Engineers Heavy Shop Co. He was discharged on May 3, 1945 and awarded a medical disability pension relating to psychoneurosis; fracture great toe and second toe, with traumatic arthritis.Served in the Aleutian Campaign.
MARRIAGE: On July 11, 1942 at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, he married Margaret Catherine Hynson of Washington, DC. Together they raised 5 children: Glenn, Sherrard, Gwen, David & Robyn.
"Bob" was the Water & Sewer Maintainence Supervisor for Harford County. He retired in 1970 on a disability. Active in the First Presbyterian Church of Bel Air, Maryland, he served as a deacon and elder. He was a life member of D.A.V. and N.R.A.; a member of the Izaak Walton League of America and active with Troop #808 of the Boy Scouts of America.
Robert S Kuykendall
1942 | Viriginia
Augusta Military Academy
The Augusta Military Academy was a secondary education military academy in For Defiance, Augusta County, Virginia, USA. The school was established in 1865 by Confederate Veteran Charles S. Roller as the Augusta Male Academy and formally became a military academy in 1880. It combined classical studies with a military curriculum and was officially named Augusta Military Academy in 1890. At the time, it was one of the first military preparatory schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It was among one of the first such schools in the United States to adopt the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps program in 1919. Until its closure in 1984, the Academy had attracted over 7,000 students from the United States and abroad. Today it is owned and operated as a campground for the Virgina District of the United Pentecostal Church International. It is located on U.S. Route 11, also known as the Lee Highway.