Summary

One of 16, "War of 1812" Veterans, who settled and died in Washington Territory, who War of 1812 Bicentennial Monument, sponsored by The Washington State Society U.S. Daughters of 1812, which was erected near the base of Bell (Memorial Chimes) Tower at the Veteran’s section of the Evergreen-Washelli Cemetery in Seattle, King County, Washington

Conflict Period:
War of 1812 1
Branch:
Army 1
Rank:
Private E-1 2
Birth:
1794 1
Winchester, Cheshire, New Hampshire 3
United States 1
Death:
Apr 1866 2
Vancouver, Clarke County, Washington Territory 2
More…

Related Pages

+
View more similar pages

Pictures & Records (13)

Add Show More

Personal Details

Edit
Person:
Butler Emery Marble 4
Emery Marble 1
Age: 20 1
Birth:
1794 1
Winchester, Cheshire, New Hampshire 3
United States 1
State: New Hampshire 1
Death:
Apr 1866 2
Vancouver, Clarke County, Washington Territory 2
Edit
Marriage:
Mary Laws 2
10 Dec 1815 2
Fayston, Washington County, Vermont 2
Edit

War of 1812 1

Branch:
Army 1
Rank:
Private E-1 2
Enlistment Date:
11 Feb 1814 1

Looking for more information about Emery Marble?

Search through millions of records to find out more.

Stories

Butler Emery Marble listed on War of 1812, Bicentennial Monument

Seattle, King, Washington

Butler Emery Marble, one of 16, War of 1812 Veterans, who settled and died in Washington Territory. War of 1812 Bicentennial Monument, sponsored by The Washington State Society U.S. Daughters of 1812, which was erected near the base of Bell (Memorial Chimes) Tower at the Veteran’s section of the Evergreen-Washelli Cemetery in Seattle, King County, Washington (known as the Arlington Cemetery of the West). The ceremony took place on June 23rd, 2012. GPS Coordinates for War of 1812 Bicentennial Monument: Latitude: 47.708940 Longitude: -122.341565 Or Latitude: 47 Degrees 42 Minutes 32.1834 Seconds Longitude: -122 Degrees 20 Minutes 29.634 Seconds Source: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

CLARK COUNTY PIONEER, BUTLER EMERY MARBLE

Vancouver, Clark, Washington

War of 1812 Veteran, Enlisted Feb 1814 U.S. Army in New Hampshire
1856, At age 62, Enlisted with Kelly's Clark County Rangers, 2nd Regt., Washing Territory Volunteers, U.S. Army
Built a Saw Mill on Burnt Bridge Creek (Location along Discovery Trail, of Burnt Bridge Creek Greenway Trail, Vancouver, Washington

Migration from the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific Coast

{The pioneer Marble, who migrated westward, from Vermont to New York, through Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Oregon, and finally, the WashingtonTerritory.)

BUTLER EMERY MARBLE, the third son of six sons, or the seventh child of eleven children of Joseph Marble, (American Revolution Veteran) and Susannah Elizabeth Butler, was born January 1794 in Winchester, Cheshire County, New Hampshire. In 1809, This Marble family migrated from Winchester, Cheshire County, New Hampshire to Fayston, Washington County, Vermont and located in the northern part of the town, where they built the first saw-mill in Fayston. The saw-mill passed out of the possession of the MARBLE family in 1882.  

 

SERVICE IN WAR OF 1812 - A DRAGOON

 

Emery Butler Marble served in the last year of the War of 1812, which started June 18, 1812 and ended December 24, 1814.
Private Emery B Marble served from 11 February 1814 to 15 June 1815, a 16 months military service..
On 11 Feb 1814, at the age of 20, Emery Butler Marble enlisted with the regiment, U.S. Drags by the Company Commander, Lt. Abe McFarland for a period of 5 years.  The recruit, Emery Marble's given height is listed as 5" 11". On 28 February 1814, Emery had a monthly R. R. (Rest and Relaxation) at Middlesbury, Vermont. The Regiment of Dragoons was disbanded on March 3, 1815 and those men that were not folded into the Corps of Artillery were discharged on June 15, 1815.

 

Source: U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914
(Book 669,/ Page 180)

 

Note: The United States Cavalry, or U.S. Cavalry, is the designation of the mounted force of the United States Army.
Originally designated as United States Dragoons, the forces were patterned after cavalry units employed during the Revolutionary War.
Dragoon:  light, mobile, scouting cavalry, fights on foot, but travels by horseback

 

United States Light Dragoons:
1814, 30 March; Congress combined the First and Second United States Dragoons into one Regiment of U. S. Light Dragoons.
This was a result of cutting the costs of sustaining two organizations when neither could maintain a full complement of riders.
At the end of the year, the war ended with the signing of the Treaty of Ghent.

1815, 3 March;The regiment was disbanded, with the explanation that cavalry forces were too expensive to maintain as part of a standing army.

1815, 15 June; The retained officers and men were folded into the Corps of Artillery, all others were discharged.

Source for note, 1814 and 1815: http://wapedia.mobi/en/U.S._Cavalry

 

THE NAME: BUTLER EMERY MARBLE 

 

Emery Marble always signed his name Emery Marble until about 1819. 

The story about this is that Emery, age 21 married Mary Laws, (Matilda Jenette Laws), when she was with child, (Abel), on 10 December 1815, in Fayston, Washington County, Vermont. Emery’s father, Joseph Marble did not approve of the union and did not give Emery a part of his inheritance, as was the custom at a son's wedding. For whatever reasons, Emery stole two of his father's oxen and had his fourteen year-old brother-in-law Benjamin Laws hide them, while Emery found a way to dispose of them. They were both caught and in June of 1817 were sentenced by the state court in Montpelier to three years (Emery) and two years (Benjamin) at hard labor and to bear the costs of prosecution. They immediately petitioned the Governor for clemency, but their petitions were dismissed. However, they kept trying and finally Benjamin was pardoned in October of 1818 and Emery in September of 1819. After he left prison, Emery always signed his name as either Butler E. Marble or B.E. Marble. Butler was the maiden name of Emery’s mother, Susannah Elizabeth Butler. 

 

PETITION AND PARDON

 

1819, October;
Governor and Council, October 1819. 267
The petition of Emery Marble, a convict in the State's prison, praying for a pardon, was read & on the question shall the prayer be granted, the yeas & nays were called for "& taken as follows - Yeas, Messrs. Fay, Hammond, Crawford, Chittenden, Tomlinson, Butler, Stanley, Cotton, Wetmore & Berry. Nays, Messrs. Leland & Cahoon - so the prayer was granted & a pardon issued accordingly.
Source:
www.ebooksread.com
Records of the Governor and Council of the State of Vermont (Volume 6). (page 37 of 80)

 

TIMELINE for BUTLER EMERY MARBLE 

 

SEE ILLUSTRATION: BUTER EMERY MARBLE'S MIGRATION WEST

 

Between the years, 1815 - 1835; Butler Emery Marble and wife Matilda Laws had 8 children.The migration of the Butler E. Marble’s family, from the North East to the Mid West, can be seen from the recorded births of his children and through the United States Federal Census as depicted below: 

On 1819, April 04; the second son, Levi Marble was born in Fayston, Washington County, Vermont. 

In the 1820 United States Federal Census, residing in EssexTownship, Chittenden County, VermontRoll:  M33_127, Image: 144, Page: 135, Marble, Butler, 26 years old. 1820, November 04; Son, Jehiel Butler Marble was born in Essex, Chittenden County, Vermont.

Between the years, 1822 - 1833; Butler Emery Marble Family resided in New YorkState where 4 of 8 children were born: (in 1825, residing in Shadigee, N. Y)In 1822, Mary Matilda; in 1827, Ezra Stephen; in 1829, John Milton, was born in Fulton County, NY; and in 1833, Ansil Sylvester was born in Johnstown, Fulton County, NY. 

In the 1830 United States Federal Census, residing in Constantia, Oswego County, NY. Roll: M19_115, Page: 213, Image: 414, Line 4,Marble, Butler E., Males (222001)

About 1835, the last son and last child, the eighth, Jackson Marble was born in Coldwater, Branch County, Michigan. 

HISTORY OF CLYDETOWNSHIP, WHITESIDE COUNTY, ILLINOIS

 In 1838, ClydeTownship, Whiteside County, Illinois: The Township of Clyde is situated in the north part of WhitesideCounty and contains 22,925 acres. The land is rolling prairie and bluffs, interspersed with numerous groves of timber, especially along the water courses. 

About 1838 settlers began to come into the town, among others Henry W. Daniels and Hugh Hollinshead. A Mr. Wing of New York, and Dr. H. H. Fowler of Indiana, then residents of Fulton, built a saw mill where the Brothwell Mill now is. This was managed by Butler E. Marble and his son Levi. Hugh Hollinshead, a millwright, and H. W. Daniels were engaged in erecting the concern. In connection with it was a grist mill or "corn cracker," which worked so slowly that it is said a man waiting for his grist could eat all but the toll while the grinding was being done.  

In 1838 Wing laid out a "city" at the mill which was called "GeneseeCity." The "city" was great in its immensity. Lots were sold to eastern people, and several came on to inspect the new metropolis. They found a magnificent array of stakes, and but little else to speak of. Butler E. Marble, the miller, went to Oregon where he died.  

Source: Whiteside County, Illinois, "History of ClydeTownship" From Bent-Wilson History Book, 1877

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilwhites/town_histories/clyde_township.htm

 

GENESEETOWNSHIP, WHITESIDE COUNTY, ILLINOIS 

 

GeneseeTownship, Early Settlers; 1838 - Levi MarbleIn 1838, The First Mill: Butler E. Marble and his son Levi operated their mill. They also attempted to operate a corn cracker at the mill, but it wasn’t a success. Some people said they could crack more corn with a plumping stone. The mills were used only three or four months of the year because there was insufficient water in the races to provide power.  

Source: Some History of WhitesideCountyIL, Written by Landis Fay (1992), Second Edition Edited, Transcribed and Contributed by Larry Reynolds April 2006

http://genealogytrails.com/ill/whiteside/landis.html

Year: 1840; Census Place:  , Whiteside, Illinois; Roll  329; Page: 73; Image: 1361; Family History Library Film: 0007644.
Name: Butler E Marbell, [Butler E Marball] 
County: Whiteside State: Illinois

On 1840, 25 May; Marriage of MARBLE, Butler E. and CRAWFORD, Matilda, by Harvey Morgan, Probate J.P. Source: LeeCounty Marriages, 1839-1865 {Illinois} 

 

ILLINOIS PUBLIC LAND PURCHASE RECORDS

 

20 May 1845 - 23 July 1849, IllinoisPublicLand Purchase Records, E. Butler Marble:

__Name_________ Section_ Price___Total______ Date____ Vol Page Acres

MARBLE BUTLERE  NWSE  00000  0000000  23 July 1849    709  046  4000 

1850 United States Federal Census, HarlemTownship, Carroll County, IllinoisRoll:  M432_99,  Image: 372, Page 372A, Line 38, Dwell/Fam 7Butler E. Marble, 57, <1793>, NH, 2000; Martha, 50, <1799>, KY; Ansil, 17, <1832>, Illinois; Andrew C., 3 or 8, <1846 or 1841>, ILL. 

 

THE  OREGON TRAIL AND THEN TO WASHINGTONTERRITORY 

1852, 16 November; Butler E. Marble came to Vancouver, Washington from Carroll County, Illinois by the Oregon Trail with his newly wedded son, Ansil Syvester Marble. 

1854, Butler Marble received a Donation Land Claim, (DLC). His sons, Ansil Sylvester and John Milton Marble came west at about the same time. Later, John went to Goldendale.  

1854, Butler Marble and his son, Ancil, known as experienced farmers, millers, and carpenters, were drawn to the creeks north of the HBC (Hudson Bay Company) compound by the potential water Power. In 1854, Butler Marble and his wife, Matilda, settled on Burnt Bridge Creek, while his son (Ansil) settled nearby to the north. The father and son team built several mills together, including a sawmill along the banks of Burnt Bridge Creek near the mouth of Cold Creek and a gristmill on Salmon Creek. Butler renamed the creek "Marble Creek"; it had been prviously known as Bridge Creek or River Crek (Van House 1978). Like all early settlers, the Marbles did many things to survive - they ran mills, farmed, sold meat to the Hudson's Bay Company, and strove to accumulate land.

Source: "And Greenway Trails Project" PDF (search Google)
History of The Burnt Bridge Creek Regional Wetland Mitigation Bank and Greenway Trails Project
Prepared for J. D. Walsh & Associates, P.S., Vancouver, Washington, November 4, 2002, Report No. 1007,
by David Ellis, Elizabeth O'Brien, Jo Reese, and John Fagan, R. P. A.
Archaeological Investigations Northwest, Inc., 2632 SE 162nd Ave., Portland, Oregon
Page 10
Figure 3 shows DLC, Donation Land Claim

 

SEE FIGURE 3: BURNT BRIDGE CREEK TRAIL STUDY AREA

 

1856, April – 31 May: One Month and 13 days, during Indian Wars

"PRIVATE WITH KELLY'S CLARK COUNTY RANGERS"

2nd Regiment, ClarkCountyRangers of WashingtonTerritory Volunteers, Army of the U.S. 

 

1859, Butler Marble built a gristmill on Salmon Creek. It is said that he lived on Burnt Bridge Creek. 

In the WashingtonTerritory, the Marble family would have to retreat to FortVancouver during Indian raids. 

Note: Burnt Bridge Creek: A creek of many names. At one time, when a bridge crossed the creek at 4th Plain, it was called Bridge Creek. Then the bridge burned. In the 1850s, it was also called Stenegier's Creek, after a Hudson's Bay employee on whose land the creek ran. In 1865, it appears on the maps as Marble Creek, for Ansil Marble, on whose land it then lay. However, by 1885, it appears as Burnt Bridge Creek. The stream was Vancouver's primary water source until the city's wells were dug. 

1860; Census Place:  , Clark, Washington;
Roll: M653_1398; Page: 125; Image: 129.
Post Office: Vancouver
Line 17, Dwell 316 Fam 310
Name: Butler E Marrel Age 66 Birth Year: abt 1794 Birthplace: New Hampshire Gender: Male 
Matilda Marrel Age 60 Birth Year: abt 1800 Birthplace: Kentucky Gender: Female 
Andrew Marrel Age 13 Birth Year: abt 1847 Birthplace: Illinois Gender: Male 
Elizabeth Marrel Age in 1860: 2 Birth Year: abt 1858 Birthplace: Washington  (WT) Washington Territory Gender: Female 
Sammuel Vaughn Age 25 Birth Year: abt 1835 Birthplace: Ohio Gender: Male 

 

 

PRIVATE WITH KELLY'S CLARK COUNTY RANGERS

Vancouver, Clark, Washington

1856, April – 31 May: One Month and 13 days, during Indian Wars

 "PRIVATE WITH KELLY'S CLARK COUNTY RANGERS"

 2nd Regiment, ClarkCountyRangers of WashingtonTerritory Volunteers, Army of the U.S.

During the Indian uprising of 1855/56, (Yakima Indian War), Butler E. Marble enlisted on April 30, 1856, and served for a period of one month and 13 days under Captain William Kelly in the "Clark County Rangers," Second Regiment of Washington Volunteers, U. S. Army. At the time, he was 62 years old and records describe him as: 6' 1/4" tall, fair complexion, gray hair, gray eyes, and that he resided at Vancouver in Clark County, Washington Territory.

Butler E Marble's name appears on two Indian Muster Roll Lists:

Muster Roll dated 30 Apr 1856, Reference No. AR82-1-12-407, Washington State Archives

Muster Roll dated: 16 July 1856, Reference No. AR82-1-12-4026, Washington State Archives

On the 16 July 1856 Muster Roll, Butler E. Marble's given discharged date is the 31st of May, 1856 and the comments field reads;

"Discharged in consideration of his old age, contrary to his wishes."

 Also on the 16 July 1856 Muster Roll

Record of events which may be necessary for future reference or present information:

The Company during Service built a stockade at a prairie 6 miles north of Vancouver, near Salmon Creek, built a Fort at 4th Plain NE of Vancouver, built a Block House at Washongae and on at Louis River near Saint Helens. The men not employed in extra duties were alternately employed in doing scouting duty, garrisoning the forts or block houses, while a relief was attending to their farms. The company was reduced on the 31st May by discharging persons who could not or was not able in the opinion of the Captain to be in the service and again the Company was reduced on the 13th and 14th of June 1856 by order of the Commander in Chief Gov. Stevens.

16 July 1856, Wm. Kelly Capt, C Co. Rangers, 2nd Regt. W. T. V.

(Kelly's Clark County Rangers, 2nd Regiment, Washington Territory Volunteers)

Butler Emery Marble On the Muster Roll, Washington Archives

http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Record/View/3A99595E7EA2653689C41FBE1A6D9E8C

 

 

 

DEATH OF BUTLER EMERY MARBLE

Vancouver, Clark, Washington

DEATH OF BUTLER EMERY MARBLE

1866, Abt. April; After the end of the Civil War, Emery Butler age 72 died in Clarke County, Washington Territory.

Patents

Patents have been received at this office for the following Donation claimants, and will be delivered upon the surrender of the duplicate donation certificates:

B E Marble, (name appears in list of 74 names)

J M Fletcher Register

Source

The Vancouver Register, Vol. 1, Vancouver, Washington Territory, Saturday, March 17, 1866.

No. 27, Page 1, Top of fifth column

Internet Source:

Washington Secretary of State

Washington History

Historical Newspapers in Washington: Personal Name Search for Butler Marble

http://www.sos.wa.gov/history/newspapers_name.aspx

More Results for Butler Marble

The following article appeared as follows in the Vancouver Register which was published on Saturdays:

Notice:

In the matter of the Estate of Butler E. Marble, dec'd:

Notice is hereby given that by virtue of an order of the Probate Court of Clarke County, W. T., made at the regular April term 1866, upon petition filed by Ansil S. Marble, Administrator of said Estate. All persons interested in said Estate are notified to appear at the Court House, in Vancouver, on the 26th day of May, 1866, at one o'clock p.m., to show cause, if any there be, why said Administrator shall not be granted an order by said Court to sell a portion of the Real Estate belonging to said Estate. Ansil S. Marble, Adm'r, by J. D. Potter, Att'y, Dated Vancouver, May 1, 1866.

The Vancouver Register, Vol. 1, Vancouver, Washington Territory, Saturday, May 5, 1866

No. 34, Page 3, Column One,

Basically Same Notice appears in

The Vancouver Register, Vol. 1, Vancouver, Washington Territory, Saturday, May 26, 1866

No. 37, Page 3, Column Two.

The Vancouver Register, Vol. 1, Vancouver, Washington Territory, Saturday, July 28, 1866

No. 46, Page 2, Column Six.

Notice:

By virtue of an order of the Probate Court, of Clarke County, W. T., made at the July Term 1866. I shall sell at public auction on the premises, about one and one half miles north of the city of Vancouver, on the 23d day of August, A. D. 1866, between the hours of ten o'clock a. m. and the setting of the sun on that day, one hundred and seven acres of land, being a portion of the donation land claim of Butler E. Marble, deceased; situate in said county of Clarke.

Terms of sale - cash, on the day of sale, or a credit of not to exceed six months, with approved surety, and mortgage on the premises. The said land to be offered for sale in such lots, or parcels, as the administrator shall deem best for the interest of the estate, on the day of sale.

Vancouver, July 25th, 1866

Ansil S Marble, Administrator of the Estate of Butler E. Marble, deceased.

By J. D. Potter, Atty. for Administrator. 4G 3w,

The Vancouver Register, Vol. 1, Vancouver, Washington Territory, Saturday, August 4, 1866,

No. 47, Page 3, very bottom of 2nd column

THE BURIAL SITE

 FindAGrave.Com Memorial #20412045:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20412045

PostMilitaryCemetery {1882 or 1849} next to St. James cemetery at Fourth Plain Rd, & L Street, Vancouver, WA.  PostMilitaryCemetery, also known as VancouverBarracksCemetery and Military Cemetery.

The following are excerpts from the National Archive - Document No. 351000:  "The original post cemetery was in the northwest corner of the reserve, area 4 acres, enclosed by a strong picket fence.  The total interments by 12 August 1882 were 314.  Of these the number of officers, as far as was known was six; number of enlisted men whose record could be obtained 30; the remainder civilians or persons whose graves were without headboards or any other marks to designate who they were.  Civilians were encouraged to reclaim and remove the remains of their relatives, about 72 disinterment of civilians occurred during the year 1881.  The new cemetery, situated about 1/2 mile north of the old one, area 2 acres, was enclosed with a strong new picket fence.  No new interments had been made to 12 August 1882.  There was some dissention (local) to the disturbance of the burials for reinterment in the new post cemetery.  Rather it was recommended that the old post cemetery be declared a national cemetery as had formerly been done by GO# 4 of 1875 subsequently revoked by GO of 1876.  The original post was needed for expansion of the building area of the Reservation."

At present (15 April 2000) there are 1400 graves at Vancouver Barracks, 210 of which are unknown from the mid 1800's.

Source: Index of the persons buried at Vancouver Barracks, researched by Robert and Ruth Crouch at following URL:

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/4458/vanbar.html

http://robert-crouch.com/vanbar.html

NOTES

About Clark County, Washington;

Formed in 1844, and originally named Vancouver County (changed to Clark in 1849), ClarkCounty is the oldest county in Washington state, and is home to one of the oldest settlements in Washington.

About FortVancouver Site;

The site of FortVancouver, called Jolie Prairie, was located near a Chinook Indian village named Ske-chew-twa that was located on the site of the W.W.I. Kaiser Shipyards. Jolie Prairie was later named Fort Plain by the Hudson's Bay Company, and became the core of FortVancouver. The coniferous forests surrounding the plains provided a ready supply of timber for fuel and building materials. The streams on Mill Plain, six miles east of Fort Plain, provided a power source for both a grist mill and a saw mill.  Fort became the headquarters and principal supply depot for the Hudson Bay Company's "Department of the Columbia" and the center for the Northwest fur trade. It also became the western terminus of the Oregon Trail. 

Clark County Pioneers: A Centennial Salute - Marble Family

Vancouver, Clark, Washington

Clark County Pioneers: A Centennial Salute   Butler E. Marble

Butler E. Marble was born in 1794 in Winchester, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, the son of Joseph Marble and Susannah Elizabeth Butler. Typical of families seeking a better living, they moved to Oswego County, New York, and when Butler reached adulthood he married Martha, the mother of his son Ansil. She died soon afterwards and Butler remarried on May 16, 1840, in Ogle or Lee County, Illinois. His bride was forty year old Mary Matilda Laws Crawford, a widow with a teenaged daughter.

In the spring of 1852, the Marble family joined a wagon train bound for Oregon. The party included Ansil, who was now twenty-one years old and married, and Mary's daughter Anne and her husband the Rev. James Alexander and their family. They arrived in Oregon Territory on November 16, 1852 and lived in Portland until 1854 when they moved to a 320 acre Donation Land Claim in Clark County.

During the Indian uprising of 1855/56, Butler enlisted on July 16, 1856, and served for 101 days under Captain William Kelly in the "Clark County Rangers," Second Regiment of Washington Volunteers. At the time, he was 62 years old and records describe him as: 6' 1/4" tall, fair complexion, gray hair, gray eyes, and that he resided at Vancouver in Clark County.

Butler passed away in April of 1866 and is buried in the Post Military Cemetery at Vancouver. On the 1870 census of Clark County, Mary was recorded as an invalid, living with the James Alexander family.

Children of ButlerE. Marble and Martha ___

Ansil Sylvester Marble: b. 30 Mar. 1832, Johnstown, Fulton Co., NY, m. 1. Louvisa Gamer Greene, 27 Apr. 1852, Council Bluffs, IA, m.2. Fannie Louise _____,1912, d. 29 Dec. 1914, Vancouver, WA

Children of ___Crawford and Mary Matilda Laws :

Anne Elizabeth Crawford: b. 25 Feb. 1826, Bourbon Co., KY, m. Rev. James Howard Alexander, 5 Nov. 1844, Lee Co., IL, d. 1903, Vancouver, WA, bur. Manor Wilson Bridge Cemetery

Children ofButlerE. Marble and Mary Matilda Laws Crawford :

Abel Marble

Levi Marble: b. 4 Apr. 1819,Faston, VT, m. Jerusha Clossen,14 Nov. 1841, Whiteside Co., IL (b. Oswego Co., NY, dau. of John Clossen and Amy Lee), democrat, occ. farmer and thresher

Children of Levi Marble and Jerusha Clossen:        Ansil Marble        Amy Matilda Marble: m. Henry W. Carlisle, 19 Jan. 1868 (b. 25 Mar. 1839, Cayuga Co., NY, occ. captain and  pilot, son of Leander Carlisle and Cynthia Harris), their children: Ezra, James, John, Cynthia, Rose, and Ernest Carlisle        Hettie Marble: m. H. Saddler        John C. Marble        Rosalie Marble: m. J.J. Larson        Levi E. Marble        Hattie L. Marble: m. J.C. Holden

Andrew Jackson Marble; b. 1847, IL

Elizabeth Marble: b. 1858, WA

Jahiel Marble

Mary Matilda Marble: m. A.L. Clausen

Abel Marble      Ezra Marble

Ansil Sylvester Marble

Born on March 30, 1832, at Johnstown in Fulton County, New York, Ansil Sylvester Marble was the son of Butler E. Marble. He grew up at Carroll County, Illinois, and married Louvisa Garner Greene on April 27, 1852, at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Louvisa was born April 3, 1830, at Columbus, Ohio, the daughter of Jonathan M. and Susanna Greene. Louvisa was their second child; others were James (b. 1826), Charity (b. 1833), Lucretia (b. 1835), Jonathan (b. 1838), Mary (b. 1840), and Malvira (b. 1842). They were all born in Ohio. Later that spring the Marbles left for the Oregon Territory with a party that included Ansil's parents as well as other family members. After their arrival in Oregon, they lived at Portland until 1855 when Ansil filed for a Donation Land Claim in Clark County at Military Road between Vancouver and Salmon Creek. The Marble's son Francis was born during an Indian raid on Fort Vancouver. In 1859 Ansil and his father built a saw mill on Salmon Creek. In 1864 he built a flour mill on Salmon Creek, and operated a sucessful business until 1883 when a new building was constructed at another site. The mill, the first in Clark County, was located near the present intersection of 134th Street and Salmon Creek Avenue. It had three grinding stones and was powered by the water from Salmon Creek. Louvisa passed away on November 28, 1896 and was buried in the Park Hill Cemetery. In 1912, Ansil married for a second time; his wife was Fannie Louise _____. Ansil died on Dec. 29, 1914 and is buried in the Park Hill Cemetery in Vancouver.

Children of ___Greene and Louisa Garner:

Angenora Greene (Marble): b. 13 Mar. 1850, Columbus, OH, m. Martin Burlingame (b. ca. 1848, IL, son of Henry S. Burlingame and Drusilla Short), d. 8 Apr. 1872, Vancouver, WA, they had a dau. Elsie Burlingame (b. 1868, Clark Co., WA)

Children of Ansil Sylvester Marble and Louisa Ganer Greene:

Mary Malvina Marble: b. 28 Feb. 1853, Portland, OR

Marena/Manerva Marble: b. 21 Nov. 1854, Portland, Multnomah Co., OR, m. Henry D. Wilson, 18 Mar. 1870, Vancouver, WA (b. Dec. 1845, MI, d. 18 Sept. 1928), d. 7 Feb. 1875, bur. Salmon Creek Methodist Cemetery, Clark Co., WA

Children of Henry Dore Wilson and Marena/Manerva Marble:    Thomas Sylvester Wilson: b. 2 Jan. 1871, near Vancouver, WA    George Franklin Wilson: b. 23 Dec. 1873, WA    Marena Wilson: b. 27 Jan. 1875, near Vancouver, WA, died as infant

Flora Alice Marble: b.3 Aug. 1856, Clark Co., WA, m. John W. Wentworth, 8 June 1888

Francis Sylvester Marble: b. 18 Jan. 1858, Clark Co., WA, m. Sarah A. Pender, 7 Mar. 1883, d. 19 Jan. 1919, bur. Park Hill Cemetery, Vancouver, WA

Children of Francis Sylvester Marble and Sarah Pender: Edward Ansil Marble: b. 10 Apr. 1884, Salmon Creek, WA, d. 1937, m. Stella _____ Pearl Oral Marble: b. 9 Jan. 1886, Salmon Creek, WA, m. Charles Alvin Smithline, 12 June 1910, Vancouver, WA, d. 19 June 1958, Vancouver, WA, their children: Evelyn May Smithline (b. 9 Apr. 1911, m. 1. Richard McBride, 13 Apr. 1932, m.2. Rolland Hunt, ), Cedric Smithllne (b. 20 Sept. 1913, Vancouver, WA, m. Evangeline Rose Werner, 15 May 1943), Elbert Laverne Smithline (b. 26 Feb. 1916, Vancouver, WA, m. Vivian Margarita Willis, Aug. 1918), Kenneth Vivian Smithline (b. 17 Sept. 1917, Vancouver, WA, m. Victoria____ ),  Arlene Vera Smithline (b. 27 Oct. 1918, Vancouver, WA, m. Peter Kielman), June Nadine Smithline (b. 28 May 1921, Vancouver, WA, m. Ray LaRue, Oct. 1940), Olive Pearl Smithline (b. 10 Jan. 1926, Vancouver, WA, m. Forest Cotton, 25 June 1944) Ina May Marble: b. 14 Mar. 1887, Salmon Creek, WA, m. 1. Charles Young, d. 14 June 1953, Vancouver, WA, their son: Charles Francis Young (b. 16 Feb. 1911, his children: Geraldine May Young, b. 28 Mar. 1937, Lois Ann Young, b. 10 July 1941, Donna Jean Young, b. 10 July 1941), m.2. Ernest G. Goodwin (b. 1881, d. 1920), their children: Robert John Goodwin (b. 18 Feb. 1917, killed in WWII), Lillian Florence Goodwin (b. 10 Nov. 1918) Owna Francis Marble: b. 22 Feb. 1889, Salmon Creek, WA, d. 10 Jan. 1910, Salmon Creek, WA Vivian Ellis Marble: b. 29 Dec. 1890, Vancouver, WA,m. 1. Olive Wright, 1919, m.2. May _____, d. 14 Sept. 1893, Salmon Creek, WA Albert Granville Marble: b. 14 Sept. 1893, Salmon Creek, WA, m. Jesse Kincaid, 26 July 1926 Vernon William Marble: b. 24 Nov. 1896, Salmon Creek, WA, d. 3 July 1963, San Francisco, CA Harry Elton Marble: b. 5 Dec. 1903, Salmon Creek, WA, m. Madeline Hyland, 24 Oct. 1927, Vancouver, WA, d.21 June 1965, Vancouver, WA, their children: Marianne Marble (b. 13 Nov. 1928, Vancouver, WA, m. John Elwood VanHouse, 11 Apr. 1948, Vancouver, WA, he was b. 4 June 1933, Vancouver, WA, thier children: David John VanHouse, b. 20 Sept. 1948, Walla Walla, WA, m. Patricia Donetta Coulson, 13 Sept. 1969, Vancouver, WA, Sue Elizabeth VanHouse, b. 22 Apr. 1950, Walla Walla, WA, d. 13 May 1950, Walla Walla, WA, Stephen Geoffrey VanHouse, b. 26 Aug. 1952, Vancouver, WA, d. 14 June 1975, Portland, OR, Deborah Ann VanHouse, b. 26 Sept. 1952, Vancouver, WA, d. 22 Nov. 1952, Vancouver, WA, James Christopher VanHouse, b. 27 Feb. 1954, Vancouver, WA, Amy Cathleen VanHouse, b. 25 Mar. 1955, Vancouver, WA, Mary Elizabeth VanHouse, b. 27 Apr. 1957, Vancouver, WA, m. James Allen Beck, 10 Apr. 1976, Hazel Green, AL, Daniel Robert VanHouse, b. 20 Dec. 1958, Vancouver, WA) James Elton Marble: b. 4 June 1933, Vancouver, WA, m. Beverly Celia Mitchell, 9 Nov. 1956, Seattle, WA, their children: Karen Lee Marble (b. 18 June 1957, Seattle, WA), Brent Elton Marble (b. 12 July 1960, Seattle, WA) Clyde Arthur Marble: b. 1 May 1906, Salmon Creek, WA 

Louvisa Adelia Marble: b. 9 Jan. 1860, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA, m.____ Heavren 

Susannah Marble: b. 18 Aug. 1861, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA, m. John W. Snover, 4 Sept. 1889 (b. 1861, d. 1921, bur. Park Hill Cemetery), d. 1944, bur. Park Hill Cemetery, Vancouver, WA 

Nancy Jane Marble: b. 12 Oct. 1864, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA, m. Orlo R. Chamberlain, 12 Oct. 1889 (b. 1864, d. 1922, bur. Park Hill Cemetery), d. 1943, bur. Park Hill Cemetery, Vancouver, WA

Noah Marble: b. 5 Apr. 1863, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA 

Pluma Agnes Marble: b. 14 Dec. 1867, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA,  m l. Levi Sofa, 28 Aug. 1889, m.2. Ira Stanley 

Gilbert Otto Hazel Marble: b. 24 Apr. 1868, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA, m. Lulu Smith, Condon, OR 

Ansil Granville Marble:  b.13 June 1871, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA,  m. Mary L. Selby, 10 Nov. 1895  (b. 1870, d. 1942, bur. Park Hill Cemetery), d. 1949, bur. Park Hill Cemetery, Vancouver, WA 

Children of Ansil Granville Marble and Mary Selby:       Hazel May Marble: m. Ernest Page        Howard Granville Marble: m. Mildred Ida Ward        Lester Lyle "Bud" Marble

Ezra Marble: b. 3 Mar. 1873, Salmon Creek, Clark Co., WA

SOURCE

From the Reference Book at Ft. Vancouver Regional Library:

Clark County pioneers : a centennial salute.

Vancouv er, Wash., USA : Clark County Genealogical Society,c1989.

760 p. : ill. ; 29 cm. Includes index.

1) Pioneers -- Washington (State) -- Clark County. 2) Clark County (Wash.) -- History.

MARBLE FAMILY: Pages 442-444.    

LC NUMBER:  F897.C6 C553 1989 

PUB ID:  103-035-168 

"Those Who Dared" by Marianne Marble Van House

Vancouver, Clark, Washington

Early pioneers, the Marble family made important contributions to the development of Clark County

I hear the tread of pioneers

Of nations yet to be –

The first low wash of waves where soon

Shall roll a human sea.

Anonymous, c. 1865

 

Once the “Fifty-four forty or fight” problem was settled and the Donation Land Act passed Congress on September 27, 1850, allowing a husband and wife, for a filing fee of $10.00, to homestead 640 acres of free land in the northwest, no tract of prairie, however bleak, could check the restless westerly urge for adventure, for another chance, for a better future which brought a rush of settlers to establish land claims in the Oregon Territory.

 

The big year on the Oregon Trail was 1852. This “Great Migration” year brought enormous numbers of pioneers to the Oregon Territory, a “human sea” estimated at over 50,000 people.1 An article in The Oregonian on August 5, 1857, reported that in 1852 alone the number of emigrants nearly doubled the population of the Territory. One traveler on the trail that year reported that in four days he passed more than 1,600 wagons, 8,500 persons, and 30,000 animals.

 

  1. Viola H Betts Stewart, Why the Bell Rings: A History of the Salmon Creek Elementary School, pp. 102-103.

 

They were only millers and farmers and carpenters with young children, those four pioneer families who left Council Bluffs, Iowa on May 4, 1852 in the same wagon train – Butler E. Marble, Ansil Sylvester Marble, Joseph Hill Goddard, and Henry Silas Burlingame; but they dared the hardships of that trail because they had courage and a rare vision of what lay before them. The Goddards and Burlingames have been well documented as early developers of Clark County. The Butler and Ansil Marble families, however, have been largely neglected by local historians and little has been known about the importance of their contributions to the early development of the city of Vancouver, of Clark County, and even of Washington Territory, which they helped open to further settlement. Because they were millers, farmers and carpenters by trade, the Marbles recognized immediately the significance of the abundant agricultural and forest land for homes and farms, and of the rivers and streams as the source of power for their mills. Those who live and work in Clark County today have raped the benefits of their faith and foresight.

 

In the early 1850’s the brush was still overgrown on the old Indian trails north of Vancouver; they were almost impassable except on horseback or on foot. The brush was so thick in that virgin forest land and the trails so muddy during the frequent rainy periods, people had to take their wagons apart, put their possessions on the oxen or horses, or even their own backs, and lead the animals up the trails.2

 

  1. Growing Pains: The History of Hazel Dell,” Hazel Dell Study, History Committee Report, p. 12.

 

Many of the pioneers who arrived in Vancouver in the early 1850s took up their donation land claims along those winding old trails, known by 1854 as Military road. The land north of the old Fort Vancouver, especially in the Salmon Creek area, despite its difficulty of access and its almost complete isolation, and often for these very reasons, became a peaceful valley in the wilderness, almost a paradise, to those pioneers who had struggled so long and hard to reach the Northwest.

 

The first road extending to Salmon Creek was made following Military Road in 1853; it was “improved” in 1854. It extended up from the Fort along Main Street and the present day Highway 99, but also along the present Hazel Dell Avenue, for the road not only followed the old Indian trails but varied from a due course if obstacles were in the way. Military Road gyrated around the Salmon Creek area, for example, when it turned east at the Goddard farm south of Salmon creek on the dead end road which now goes west from Hazel Dell Avenue north of 144th Street (N. E. Bassel Road), crossed Salmon Creek at Marble Bridge (east of where the present bridge now crosses the creek on Highway 99), turned west on Marble Road (now 134th Street), ran along the west side of the Tenny farm on 10th Avenue, then crossed Whipple Creek Bridge, and finally extended north to Clark Road up “Tooley Hill” (now known as “Burnt Bridge Creek Hill”) before continuing on its way up to Kelso and eventually the Puget Sound area.3

 

  1. Stewart, p. 65.

 

The pioneers began to build their first homes, log cabins, along the Military Road, where anyone was welcome to stop by to chat, eat or sleep after an arduous day’s journey up through that thick brush and forest land between the old Fort and pints stretching northward. No discriminations were ever made concerning creed or color and no charges were ever made for meals or lodging.

 

In addition to the richness of the land, plentiful lumber and water power in the wilderness north of Vancouver, there was no lack of food in those days. The streams provide, indeed swarmed with, salmon, trout, smelt and other fish. The woods abounded in furbearing animals such as beaver, mink, muskrat, skunk, otter, raccoon, wild Fowl, grouse, ducks, geese, deer, and bear. There were wild berries and nuts. The pioneers dug out the huge stumps left from felling trees to build their cabins and cleared gardens and fields out of the rich land. The families worked hard and helped one another, for this was good policy as it increased chances of survival and took care of the social life. Pioneers had to supply their own fuel and water, make most of their clothing and shoes, bedding and candles, but as they worked they played together. Good times were had during husking bees, quilting bees, and log cabin raisings.

 

Salmon Creek was especially well known for the annual migration of thousands of salmon. Each September families would gather on the beaches near Marble Dam, just east of the present day bridge over the creek on Highway 99. They left home between seven and eight o’clock at night armed with pitchforks and dip nets, lanterns, sandwiches, potatoes, corn on the cob, salt and butter, built fires of the then abundant driftwood, and waited until the salmon came up over the “krick,” as the pioneers called the stream in the early days.

 

The first of the four pioneer families who came west together in the wagon train of 1852 to make his home in the paradisiacal “promised land” of the Salmon Creek area was Joseph Hill Goddard. He and his family arrived in Vancouver on November 6 and taking all their possessions on their backs went up that winding old Indian trail through the dense forest in the virtually unknown “boondocks” of an unsurveyed wilderness. On February 1, 1853 Goddard filed a donation land claim on Salmon Creek, known as Township 3, North Range 1 East, a claim approved by President Franklin Pierce. His land was in several sections on both sides of Salmon Creek. One claim extended from 114th Street on the south to 129th Street on the north, bordering Military Road (Highway 99) on the west. Another section extended from 114th Street on the south to Marble Road (134th Street) on the north, bounded by 11th Avenue on the west and by 29th Avenue on the east. Goddard built a log cabin south of Salmon Creek on the dead end road which goes west from Hazel Dell Avenue north of N.E. Bassel Road. A second house was built in the year 1860 of sawed lumber from Marble’s Mill not too far from the site of the old log cabin.4 An old shed built near the log cabin remains today, as does the second home, now owned by Fred Koke on N.E. Bassel Road. The house has been remodeled somewhat but most of the original building, including the old door knobs, can still be seen.

 

Joseph Hill Goddard contributed much to the development of the Salmon Creek area. A descendant of the family remembers that “Joseph Goddard chose to seek a home area removed from the banks of the Columbia, out on the unimproved Indian trail, or old Military Road, a day’s journey from the old military post town of Vancouver. His choice was inconvenient to him and his family but its very isolation tended to make settlers look to local leadership. They found it and the best elements of social order of that period centered around the Goddard family who centered there.” The Goddards also built a small garrison on their land where other families could retreat for protection during the frequent Indian raids of 1855 and 1856.5

 

  1. B.F. Alley and J.P. Munro-Fraser, Illustrated History of Clarke County Washington Territory, 1885, P. 360.
  2. Information from a letter by a Goddard family descendant, whose name has been lost, from the records of Bessie Jane Wilson Curry, Battle Ground, Washington.

 

The Butler and Ansil Marble families lived in Portland for a short time after their journey west, but they were soon attracted to Clark County. In the area where the renovated Covington House stands today, Butler E. Marble at the age of sixty-one plunged into the then virtually unknown territory in spite of the hardships called for. Together with his wife, Mary Matilda, he filed a donation land claim of 640 acres on May 1, 1854, approved by President Pierce. This area, known on the map as section15, Township 2, North Range 1 East, included the present day Leverich Park and Kiggins Bowl, on the then named “Bridge Cree” or “River Creek,” which Marble renamed “Marble Creek” in 1854.

 

This vast area of land was bounded on the south by 39th Street, on the west by Alki Road, extended along its northern boundary, 58th Street, to where the Ross Substation is today, approximately near 15th Avenue. On December 15 , 1856, another 320 acres of land, the east one-half portion of section 16, was deeded to Butler Marble by Hangest Marrie and the former’s western land boundary then extended west to Fruit Valley Road approximately where the railroad tracks are today.

 

Butler Marble was a wealthy man for those times and made a good living not only by prudent buying and selling of land but through selling meat and other supplies to the Hudson’s Bay Company. According to family tradition, Marble was such a miser that he buried his wealth near his home before he died, circa 1865. Just where he built his cabin is not known but presumably it was near Main Street or the Military Road, since it was customary in those days for pioneers to build along this road. Unfortunately, the hoard of money, if it does still exist, may be buried or covered over today by the paving of Main Street or Highway 99.6

 

It should be noted at this point that there is much confusion regarding the renaming of Bridge or River Creek, later called Burnt Bridge creek. It was named Marble Creek in 1854 and continued to be so-designated on maps as late as 1883. Problems relating to fixing a day for the use of the name “Burnt Bridge Creek” are discussed at the end of this article.

 

  1. Butler Marble’s great-great-great-grandsons are planning to cover Kiggins Bowl and Leverich Park with a metal scanner!

 

Butler Marble’s son, Ansil S. Marble and his wife, Louvisa, filed donation land claims, granted by President Pierce on March 11, 1855. The first claim was 320 acres of the east half of section3, Township 2, North Range 1 East, just north of the land portion filed a decade later by William Reese Anderson in the Hazel Dell area. Marble’s land extended from the present day 78th Street (then known as the Poor House Farm Road) westward to 11th Avenue, north to the present 99th Street, and east to Military Road (now Hazel Dell Avenue) to where the Poor House Farm once stood and the Ross substation stands today.

 

It was here in 1854, before the land claims was officially filed, that Ansil Marble built his first home, a two-story log cabin, about one-half mile north of the Military Road and Poor Farm corner about seventy feet west of the road (Hazel Dell Avenue) near the present day 85th Street. The cabin no longer stands, but the area surrounding its site remains in its natural state and trees from Marble’s original fruit orchard still remain. It is this cabin, and not the Reese Anderson home built ten years later, where travelers first stopped along the trail between the old Fort Vancouver and points north for food, hospitality, an overnight rest, and supplies, when it was a full day’s journey in those days up the arduous trail from the town of Vancouver.

 

Realizing the importance of educating his children, as well as those of other early settlers, Ansil Marble donated a portion of his land in the Hazel Dell area approximately where 99th Street and Hazel Dell Avenue intersect on the east side of the old Military Road, and it was here that the first Salmon Creek School was built. According to Joseph Goddard’s diary, a meeting was held at the Kelly house on October 7, 1854, to make  plans for the school and on January 11, 1855, “McClure, Marble, Kelly and Irby were at work erecting a small log house about three-fourths of a mile toward Vancouver.” The building was small, approximately twelve by fourteen feet, and was the fist school in Clark County to be used as a public building, since the Providence School did not open until almost two years later, in December of 1856. This building was also used as a church and families would hike miles through the woods on a Sunday to attend church here, as well as in homes also serving as combination school-church-community gathering places. Other schools in those days and earlier were held in private homes such as the Covington’s cabin or the Goddard’s home. The second Salmon Creek School was built in 1860 on land donated by Joseph Goddard about fifty feet east of Hazel Dell Avenue near the south abutment of the I-5 Freeway bridge, on land later purchased by Ansil Marble.

 

After Ansil Marble and his family moved to their second land claim in Salmon Creek, he retained his property in the Hazel Dell area and allowed new pioneer families to live in his first log cabin until they were able to build their own homes and claim their own land. Among the families housed in the Marble cabin were the Taylors, an Indian family named Trent (who remained long enough for seven children to be born there), the Antone and Michael Maierhofer families, who later claimed land on Salmon Creek, and finally the Seth N. Secrist family who came west in 1872.7

 

  1. Growing Pains: The History of Hazel Dell,” p. 10.

 

The fourth family emigrating west in 1852 with the Marbles and the Goddards was that of Henry Silas Burlingame. The lives of the Burlingames and the Marbles were closely tied. Burlingame’s wife, Harriet, died on the Oregon Trail on June 20 after giving birth to a son, who was nursed by Louvisa Marble. Burlingame also lived in Portland for a short time and then moved to Clark County, where he filed a donation land claim on August 24, 1853, in the Fourth Plains community (Sifton) about six miles northeast of Vancouver (then named Columbia City). On March 16, 1854, Burlingame married Drusilla Short, a daughter of Amos and Esther Short, and by June 20, 1855 filed a donation land claim, approved by President Pierce in Sections 3 and 32 of Townships 2 and 3, North Range 1 East, bounded roughly on the east by 92nd Avenue, on the south by 88th Street, and on the north by 105th Street. In 1867 Burlingame’s oldest son by his first wife, Martin, married Ansil Marble’s oldest daughter, Angenora, the child Louvisa Marble was nursing when she also nursed the baby born to the Burlingames on the Oregon Trail. By 1871, the peripatetic family decided to move to eastern Washington where Bulingame died in Colfax in 1890. Henry Burlingame made important contributions to the growth of Clark County and served as one of the first three County Commissioners for the eastern Washington Territory.

 

It is not clear just when Ansil Marble moved from his donation claim land in the Hazel Dell area to the claim on Salmon Creek, but it was evidently before 1859, since that is the year that he built his famous sawmill there. As mentioned earlier in this article, Ansil Marble was looking to the future with unusual foresight, attracted by the water resources of Salmon Creek when he claimed another 640 acres of land in 1855 in Section 26 of Township 3, North Range 1 East. He later bought other portions of land, including section 35 just south of his homestead claim on Salmon Creek and exactly north of his land claim in Hazel Dell. The boundaries of the latter area have already been described. Marble’s land to the north extended from 99th Street on the south to 138th Street on the north, bounded by 10th Avenue on the west and by 29th Avenue on the west. He purchased other portions of land in Clark County as well, including over fifty acres in section 24, north and east of his land on Salmon Creek, several blocks of land within the city of Vancouver, and had inherited a section of his father’s land claim in the Kigggins Bowl area. Altogether at one time or another Ansil Marble owned over 1,650 acres of land in Clark County.

Whether Ansil Marble built a first home after he moved to Salmon Creek is unknown, but it is doubtful. One of his grandsons believes that Ansil’s son, Francis Sylvester Marble, was born in the old log cabin in Hazel Dell in 1858, while another grandson remembers that Frank was born when Indian raids of 1858 threatened the occupants of the isolated cabin and they hurried to the protection of the fort at Vancouver. This latter fact is also confirmed by The Columbian and by Frank Marble’s obituary.8

 

  1. Harley Mays, “Pioneer Ansel Marble Opened …. Hazel Dell, “The Columbian, April 1, 1973, p. 22

 

All debates aside, however, as to where the Marble family originally lived, Ansil did build his first sawmill on Salmon Creek in 1859 and he built a home there in the same year. The old Marble home still stands today on the south bank of Salmon Creek on 119th Street (formerly part of Salmon Creek Avenue) about one-hundred feet from the east side of Military Road (Highway 99). This well-constructed house, still in excellent condition, was considered a mansion in its time. It is a two-story structure with large bedrooms and a capacious hallway up a steep stairway, a sitting room, parlor (used today as a bedroom), dining room, kitchen, and downstairs bath.

Several out-buildings erected by Ansil still remain. The foundation timbers of the house, as sound today as they were when hand-hewn from cedar logs by Ansil himself over a hundred years ago, are a full twelve inches square and masterpieces of precision workmanship. Interior woodwork, including precisely made window frames and hand-made doors, bears marks today of the early tools which preceded modern millwork and the old square nails were used. The home also features a unique double fireplace which heats two rooms at the same time, as well as cleverly designed cupboards for storage, drying herbs, storing wood, and a “turn” or pass way between the kitchen and dining room. There are still marks on the kitchen doorway woodwork showing names and dates when the various Marble children and grandchildren were measured for their height as they were growing up. The original doorknobs and window glass, shipped around the Horn, still remain.

 

The Marble sawmill, built in 1859, was located on the north bank of Salmon Creek directly across from the old Marble house. One historian reports that it was erected with the help of Ansil’s father, Butler Marble.9 In 1866 the sawmill was expanded to include a grist or flouring mill. The Vancouver Register of March 24, 1866, reported that “Mr. Ansil Marble has started a flouring mill in connection with his sawmill on Salmon Creek.” And the following “floury” words are to be found in Marble’s own advertisement in the September 22, 1866, Vancouver Register:

 

Ansil S. Marble would respectfully inform the public that he is now prepared at his new mill, six miles north of Vancouver, on Salmon Creek, to grind all grain brought to his mill, in a superior manner at the usual rates. He is also prepared to saw at his mill and deliver any amount of superior rough lumber for as low prices as any can be bought for in this market. His machinery is in splendid working order and he always accomplishes what he undertakes or promises to do. A share of the public patronage is respectfully solicited.

 

That this promise was fulfilled is confirmed in the Weekly Oregonian of October 12, 1872, which reported that “Mr. Ansil Marble of Salmon Creek, Clarke County, is manufacturing flour unexcelled in the market.”

 

9. Alley and Munro-Fraser, p. 373

 

On the east side of his bridge, Ansil built Marble’s Dam where 119th Street joins Highway 99. The dam was necessary to make a large millpond to raise the water level to power the mills. Salmon used to congregate in that pond before struggling over the spill way to get upstream to spawn. Part of the old dam is still to be seen if the creek is examined closely enough, although recent floods have done damage which might make such an examination difficult. Marble Bridge was built by Ansil in the late 1850s to provide access to the mill and was located just west of the mill, about fifty feet east of the present bridge on Highway 99. According to one report, there was more than one Marble Bridge, since it had to be rebuilt following several floods, “possibly at least seven times!”10

 

            Ansil Marble built a new, larger mill in the summer of 1883, near the location of the old mill, described as a “tremendous building of three stories, well built and well equipped, but tragedy struck soon after the building was completed. By fall it had burned to the ground as a lamp Mr. Marble had taken with him into the mill early in the morning exploded. The mill was not rebuilt.”11 Although the facts have occasionally been reported differently, Ansil’s mill was built in 1859 and operated for 24 years, to 1883.

 

Ansil and Louvisa Marble remained on their land in Salmon Creek for an undetermined period after the mill burned, but began to sell, mortgage, and deed their property. The Marbles had engaged in this type of land speculation over the years, but the activity increased after 1883, probably for financial reasons. Ansil, in fact, had mortgaged the southeast quarter of his section26, where the mill stood on July 21, 1883, to an R. W. Downing, at the approximate time he was building the new larger mill. Another mortgage was contracted in the same area with Patrick O’Keane in 1885 and in February, 1886, the two north quarters of section 35 and again the southeast quarter of section 26 were mortgaged to Charles B. Montague.

 

  1. Ray Northcutt, in an interview, Jan. 2, 1978.
  2. Marcellene Turner, February 19, 1962, a report located at the Clark County Historical Society Museum.

 

By 1887, Ansil and Louvisa Marble had moved into the city of Vancouver and the next information found as of this date concerning the whereabouts of this still enterprising pioneer is a notice discovered in the Vancouver Independent of March 23, 1887, which reports that “A. S. Marble had completed a store building on his residence lot on 10th Street west of Main and removed his stock of goods thereto.” Clyde A. Marble, a grandson, believes that this was a “general store” which sold “everything.” By 1896 Louvisa had died and the Clarke County Directory of 1907-8 lists Ansil marble, occupation carpenter, living alone at West 17th and Daniels Streets. The 1909 Directory shows that Ansil had moved to the St. John’s area north of the garrison near “S” Street, where he remained until his death.

 

For reasons which completely baffle his descendents to his day, Ansil suddenly remarried only two years before his death to a woman named Fannie Louise, surname remains unknown as of the date of this writing. Ansil died intestate on December 29, 1914 and there remains behind in the County Clerk’s records a fifty-five page document showing a turbulent battle that raged in the courts for the next four years over the vast Marble land holdings. The evident feud involved the widow, Ansil’s children and grandchildren, and the heirs of Ansil’s grandmother, Matilda Marble, who were descendants of James H. Alexander, Matilda’s son-in-law. Facts leave much to speculation, imagination, and “reading between the lines.” For example, why did Ansil Marble’s obituary mention that he was survived by a widow and eight children, but only list the names of the children? Why did the widow refuse to pay Ansil’s funeral bill? How did that old widow quietly manage, despite a court injunction to the contrary, to sell off Ansil’s land during those four years of court battles, leaving the legal heirs penniless when the final court settlement was made in 1918? Further research is clearly indicated!

 

No matter what happened after Ansil’s death, however, the latter and his family were highly regarded by other pioneers and their descendants. Many of the descendants and other “old-timers’ remember vividly the old Marble home and mill as outstanding meeting places for community gatherings for friends, families, and even strangers who needed to do business, chat, and have good time. Elsie Hockinson Denny, Marcellene Turner, Viola Betts Stewart, Hannah Jewett, Abra Zimmerman and others recall with nostalgia that it was considered quite an event “in those old days” to ride out from town to Marble’s Mill. They remember how happy they were when their parents considered them old enough to join a hayrack party on its way to a dance at Marble’s Mill which often combined business with pleasure. At that time everyone raised his own wheat which would be ground at the mill into coarse flour, with the miller taking part – usually an eighth – as payment. Social events inevitably centered around these trips. People would gather across the creek from the mill at the Marble house for picnics. Following square dances and Virginia reels in the mill loft at night, the families would return to town the next day with their grain. Robert Robb, writing in the Vancouver Independent on February 12, 1880, gives an example of the Marble hospitality in his tale of a trip visiting schools in La Center, Flatwoods (Manor) and Salmon Creek near Marble’s Mill where he “was kindly invited to dinner at Mar. Marble’s.” Robb concluded, “and as he has a flouring mill, it was just the place for me to go. It was, and I shall return at the next invitation!”

 

The Marble family’s evident love of life, warm hospitality and sense of humor may well be summed up succinctly in an inscription on an old matchbox possibly made by Ansil himself, discovered recently by the present owners of the Old Marble House:

 

Tobacco is a dirty weed: I like it.

It satisfies no normal need: I like it.

It makes you thin, it makes you lean.

It takes the hair right off your bean;

It’s the worst darn stuff for ever seen;

I like it.12

 

12. The old matchbox was found in one of the original sheds built by Ansil Marble, by Marcelle and David Terry, now owners of the Old Marble House, which has recently been declared an historic site.

 

In the midst of offering hospitality and excellent craftsmanship, Ansil marble, as did his father and other early settlers in Clark County, had an evident, unique and serious vision of the possibilities for the future of the northwest, especially of Clark County and Vancouver. In an editorial by W. K. Hines, appearing in the Vancouver Register on October 7, 1865, what those pioneers foresaw and accomplished is summed up concisely:

 

Whether Vancouver is to be a great city or not is a question the solution of which is concealed from human vision by the obscurity of the unknown future. True, we have figured out very plainly how it might become such, and how it probably will in the course of future changes and events. But effort is the only sure and honorable way to success. The individual who lies around, waiting for something to turn up, is unworthy of prosperity and is almost certain of failure… It is true, perhaps, that one in ten thousands has found it by a mere “streak of luck”; but why take such chances when, by the use of diligence and industry, with better health, better rest , better recreation, and a better conscience than loungers and idlers can possibly enjoy, we may render success comparatively certain. Vancouver has superior natural advantages … fortune is now inclined to smile upon us. Business is active. Every house in town is occupied, and several new ones are in process of erection. A considerable number of emigrants are finding their way into our county, notwithstanding the obstacles thrown in their way. If we do our duty in the future we are sure, if not of a rapid influx of population, at least of a healthy increase and an encouraging prosperity.

 

They dared, those hardy old pioneers, whom many of us proudly claim as ancestors, to fulfill this prophecy. Their courage, enterprise, hospitality, and many of their dreams, anticipation and optimism concerning the future of our city, county and state have become reality. We owe them a far greater debt than even they envisioned, for they possessed the power that helped a young northwest get ready for the modern age.

 The Naming of Burnt Bridge Creek 

The Hazel Dell History Report of 1952notes that in Hudson’s Bay Company days the small river or creek known as Bridge River or Bridge Creek had a bridge over it where Fourth Plain Road crossed it near the military reservation, and this bridge supplied the reason for the name of the creek. The Committee believes “the name of the creek was changed suddenly and with reason” in 1844 by Dr. John McLoughlin when a large forest fire swept the region of Clark County from Camas to Lake Vancouver down to wht is known today as Burnt Bridge Canyon, “reducing the bridge to ashes.”13 Carl Landerholm made the same assumption in Cayuse to Cadillac.14 The evidence, however, indicates that both these inferences are incorrect.

 

13. “Growing Pains: The History of Hazel Dell.” Pp. 1-2.

14. Carl Landerholm, Cayuse to Cadillac, I, ii.

 

Butler Marble did rename “Bridge Creek” as “Marble Creek” in 1854, and it is clearly so marked on Land Office maps until at least 1883. Ted Van Arsdol in an article in The Columbian on April 3, 1970, noted that an 1884 U.S. General Land Office maps shows Burnt Bridge Creek labeled “Marble’s Creek” (but he assumed incorrectly that it was Butler Marble’s son, Ansil Marble, who lived in the Leverich Park area where the creek is located).15

 

Marble Creek was probably renamed Burnt Bridge Creek shortly before 1878. The first reference so-far found to the renaming of Marble Creek is in the Vancouver Independent of August 22, 1878, which reported: “A new bridge is being built over Burnt Bridge Creek, at the Wilson place.” Another reference is found in the same newspaper, dated March 30, 1879, that “Last October Hein Kulper, an old miner, and J. O. Smith, both residents of this city, went out to prospect Burnt Bridge Creek, which empties into Vancouver Lake, 2 ½ miles north and west of this city.” The map compiled in 1883 does definitely show the new name change from Marble Creek to Burnt Bridge Creek and also shows a bridge crossing the stream east of the Vancouver barracks clearly labeled “Burnt Bridge.” However, the manger of the Land Office believes the bridge which was burned was in the Hazel Dell area, where the new bridge being built “at the Wilson place,” referred to above, is located. The Land Office manager also believes that Marble Creek was not “officially” changed to Burnt Bridge Creek until 1886.16

 

15. Ted Van Arsdol, “All Traces of Historic Road Being Wiped Out.” The Columbian, April 3, 1970. p.11.

 

16. Information from Martin Plamondon, manager of Mapping Records Office, Clark County Court House, Nov.,  1977.

 

After Butler Marble’s death, his widow, Matilda, deeded the northeast quarter of his original land claim section 15 to August Schaeben, an early industrialist in Clark County. The deed was dated December 18, 1867, which is also the approximate year of Matilda’s death. Further proof that Marble Creek existed as such at that time is found in the Vancouver Independent on April 9, 1869: “Mr. August A. Schauben is fitting up a place on Marble’s Creek about two miles from town as a summer resort. He intends to spend a large sum of money.” By May 8, 1869, the same source reports: “Our enterprising townsman, A. Schauben, intends starting a tannery on his place on Marble Creek. It is an excellent place for a business of that kind – the facilities have wood and water and are unsurpassed.” These reports show the name “Marble Creek” in use long after Dr. McLoughlin Had left the area. Discovering the exact date of the change of name will require further research.

 100 YEARS AGO IN CLARK COUNTY 

April 1878 – A special levy of three hundred dollars was voted at LaCenter for a new school house.

May 1878 – The Fern Prairie post office was established with Pinkney Blair as postmaster.

Jun 1878 – Troops were sent from Vancouver Barrack to the Bannock Indian war in Idaho.

July 1878 – The first telephone connection was completed between Vancouver and Portland. Theree of the fist telephones were in the Barracks.

August 1878 – The steamboat Latona was launched at LaCenter. It was outfitted in Portland and began the Portland – Lewis River run the following January. Total cost $15,000.

 

About the Author, Marianne Marble Van House

 MARIANNE11 MARBLE  (HARRY ELTON10, FRANCIS "FRANK" SYLVESTER9, ANSIL SYLVESTER8, BUTLER EMERY7, JOSEPH6, BENJAMIN5, JOSEPH4, JOSEPH3, JOSEPH2, JOHN1), the daughter of HARRY ELTON MARBLE and MADELINE HYLAND, was born November 13, 1928 in Vancouver, Clark County, Washington, and died June 05, 2009 in Vancouver, Clark County, Washington.  She married JOHN ELWOOD VAN HOUSE in Vancouver, Clark County, Washington, son of KENNETH VAN HOUSE and SELMA NELSON.  He was born December 01, 1926 in Burton, Vashon Island, Washington, and died April 19, 2002 in Vancouver, Clark County, Washington. MARIANNE MARBLE VAN HOUSE, a descendant of four generations of Clark County pioneers, was one of the founders of Columbia Presbyterian Church. She also attended the University of Portland, obtaining a masters degree in English and subsequently worked in various places including Clark Community College and Fort Vancouver Regional Library. She loved English and wrote numerous poems. Genealogy was one of MARIANNE’S passions and her research and articles are valuable treasures especially to the descendants of BUTER EMERY MARBLE.

Burnt Bridge Creek Greenway (Bike) Trail Crosses War of 1812 Veteran's DLC

Vancouver, Clark, Washington

Burnt Bridge Creek Greenway (Bike) Trail Crosses War of 1812 Veteran's DLC

The Vancouver - Clark County Parks and Recreation's Burnt Bridge Creek Greenway (Bike) Trail crosses Butler Emery Marble's Donation Land Claim (DLC) from eastern border to western border starting at NE Leverich Park to NW Alki Road, about 1.4 miles in length or nearly 3 miles round trip.

Butler E. Marble born January 1794 in Winchester, Cheshire County, New Hampshire and died in Vancouver, Clarke County, Washington Territory in April 1866. Butler E Marble is one of the lost 210 civilian grave markers during the reinterments of the Old Post Military Cemetery from Officer's Row to its present location, about ½ mile north, on Fourth Plain Road, & L Street, next to St. James Cemetery. It is now known as Post Military or Vancouver Barracks Cemetery.

Pioneer Butler E Marble's biography appears in Clark County Pioneers, A Centennial Salute, on Page 442, by the Clark County Genealogical Society, Vancouver, Washington and published in 1989. The information was obtained from great-great-granddaughter, Marianne Marble Van House. The biography mentions Butler crossing the Oregon Trail in 1852 and serving with Captain William Kelly in the "Clark County Rangers," Second Regiment of Washington Volunteers in 1856, during the Indian uprisings. At the time, he was 62 years old. The comment written by Butler's name on the roster says, "Discharged in consideration of his age, contrary to his wishes." What is missing from the biography is Butler's story prior to the Oregon Trail.

Emery (Butler) Marble served in the last year of the War of 1812, which started June 18, 1812 and ended December 24, 1814. Private Emery B Marble served from 11 February 1814 to 15 June 1815, a 16 months military service. On 11 Feb 1814, at the age of 20, Emery Butler Marble enlisted with the regiment, U.S. Drags by the Company Commander, Lt. Abe McFarland for a period of 5 years.  The recruit, Emery Marble's given height is listed as 5" 11".

Emery Marble always signed his name Emery Marble until about 1819.

The story about Emery Marble's name change is that at the age of 21, he married Mary Laws, (Matilda Jenette Laws), when she was with child, (Abel), on 10 December 1815, in Fayston, Washington County, Vermont. Emery's father, Joseph Marble (an American Revolutionary Veteran) did not approve of the union and did not give Emery a part of his inheritance, as was the custom at a son's wedding. For whatever reasons, Emery stole two of his father's oxen and had his fourteen year-old brother-in-law Benjamin Laws hide them, while Emery found a way to dispose of them. They were both caught and in June of 1817 were sentenced by the state court in Montpelier to three years (Emery) and two years (Benjamin) at hard labor and to bear the costs of prosecution. They immediately petitioned the Governor for clemency, but their petitions were dismissed. However, they kept trying and finally Benjamin was pardoned in October of 1818 and Emery in September of 1819. After he left prison, Emery always signed his name as either Butler E. Marble or B.E. Marble. Butler was the maiden name of Emery's mother, Susannah Elizabeth Butler.

In 1838, during Butler's migration west, he operated a grist mill in Whiteside County, Illinois, but there was insufficient water in the races to provide power. Some people said they could crack more corn with a plumping stone. On May 4th, 1852 in the same wagon train, Butler E Marble, and son Ansil Sylvester Marble, Joseph Hill Goddard, and Henry Silas Burlingame left Council Bluffs, Iowa onto the Oregon Trail.

On May 1st, 1854, Butler E Marble and his wife Matilda obtain their Washington Territory DLC, Section 15, Township 2, North Range 1 East, the NE & SE Quarters, Willamette Meridian. Butler E Marble built a sawmill on Marble Creek, now known as Burnt Bridge Creek, a surveyor's map dated May 20th, 1860 can be obtain from the Bureau of Land Management.
Search: Willamette Meridian - Oregon and Washington States, Township 002-0N, Range 001-0E, Survey Year, Type or copy this link:
http://www.blm.gov/or/landrecords/survey/yPlatView1_2.php?path=PWA&name=t020n010e_001.j pg

These two quarters of Section 15 include the present-day Leverich Park, Kiggins Bowl, the Covington House and the east portion of the Glen Stewart Bike Trail.

Start at the Leverich Community Park, on 39th Street, which can be reached from Highway 99, South, Main Street, (North from downtown, Vancouver), or from Freeway I-5, (Exit 2). Leverich Park has plenty of parking spaces with three areas of parking. Also there is a sheltered eating facility and bathrooms. Starting at Leverich Park, walk North East across the suspended trail bridge over I-5.

At this point, one will already have walked upon the Butler E Marble DLC. Marble Family Heritage tells how the construction of Highway 99 and Freeway I-5 annihilated the original site of the Marble Sawmill, which has now no known marker. Proceed northeast along the West side of I-5 and eventually you will reach Burnt Bridge Creek, which runs parallel to the bike path from Hazel Dell Avenue to NW Alki Road. NW Alki Road is the west border of the Butler E Marble DLC. A Stewart Glen, Burnt Bride Creek Greenway Bike Path Map can be obtain at the following Web link: http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recreation/parks_trails/trails/pdfs/stewart.pdf

Butler Emery Marble's name appears on the War of 1812 Bicentennial Monument, sponsored by The Washington State Society U.S. Daughters of 1812, which was erected near the base of Bell (Memorial Chimes) Tower at the Veteran's section of the Evergreen-Washelli Cemetery in Seattle, King County, Washington (known as the Arlington Cemetery of the West). The ceremony took place on June 23rd, 2012.

Information, Stories, Charts, Sources and photos can be found at the following Internet Web Site:

Butler Emery Marble - Army - Military Page - Ancestry.com
http://trees.ancestry.com/view/military.aspx?tid=4931072&pid=-1521599591&gss =seotrees

This article is written by Great-Great-Great-Grandson, DeCody Brad Marble, a Desert Shield/Storm Veteran, 50 Caliber Machine Gun Crew Sergeant for 632 Maintenance Company, Fort Stewart, Georgia. Brad intends to submit through the Veterans Administration, VA, for a Military Marker for Butler E Marble to be placed at the Post Military Cemetery, Vancouver, Washington.

 

About this Memorial Page

Anyone can contribute to this page. Please sign in or sign up—it's free.

Created:
Modified:
Page Views:
660 total (28 this week)

×