Samuel Lape, Jr., served in the War of 1812 (Biographical Review of Schenectady, Schoharie & Greene Counties, about Simeon Lape, pages 29-31.) LAPE, SAMUEL: Captain James DeForest's Company, of detached Riflemen in LTC Abraham J. Hardenberg's Regiment of Detached Militia, State of New York, September 10, 1813 to November 1813; discharged November 1813. After 1813, Samuel was was unable to take an active role in manual labor due to a leg injury, but was able to ride a horse. As a mission, which he willfully accepted from his father, Samuel traveled westward in search of new land. When Samuel searched Saratoga County, he appraised the agricultural promise. He carried back to his father a discouraging report. He was again dispatched by his father to Schoharie County, somewhat west and south of Cobleskill, near Summit Four Corners. His destination was the home of one, Charles Neer, a distant relative. It happened that of the six Neer children, there was one, Lany, who was lovely, sixteen and unspoken. Imagine the pleasure of Samuel returning to his father with news of available land, both "neer" and far. Also imagine how young love made him see charms in a country heavily wooded and far above the settled valleys. He moved to Lutheranville in 1813 with his father, brother and nephew, settling upon farmland. Samuel married Lany Neer abt. 1819. He purchased 144 acres of land at a cost of $720, on October 27, 1825, from Susan Ogden, Hannah Murray, and Mary Murray, of New York (H-106). Samuel Lape, Jr, did purchase sixty acres of land at a cost of $250, on November 13, 1828, from Lucads Elmondorf of Livingston, Ulster County, New York (K-237). He afterwards enlarged the farm, making it one of the most extensive farms in the section, reaching 340 acres. Samuel built a saw mill with an ascending-descending blade, the circular saws didn't make their appearance until 1885. He turned out 20,000 feet of hemlock for the Plank Road. Each plank was eight feet long and three inches thick. He was to receive five dollars a thousand feet, delivered. Instead of hard cash, he accepted road stock, and in the end received exactly nothing at all. Samuel produced potatoes and wheat. Mercantile wheat had to be delivered in Kingston the first day of January, each year, in payment of tax of leased lands. He consented to hold some of the minor town offices, although not a seeker after place. Samuel was a registered Republican and a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lutheranville, NY. He was also a Trustee of Schools of the Town of Summit in 1836, consenting to the alteration of District No. 7, dated December 6th, 1836.