Pictures & Records (6)

Add Show More

Stories

Fallon Green is born

Beaufort, SC

Ffallon is born.

George M. Stoney purchases hotel

Beaufort, SC

George M. Stoney purchases Sea Island Hotel.

James O'Dell Sr. dies

Beaufort

James Odell Sr. Dies

The Beaufort Fire of 1907

Beaufort, SC

bEAUFORT FIRE OF 1907

Alice O'dell Dies

Beaufort, SC

Alice Odell dies

Ulysses S. Grant visits Beaufort

Beaufort, SC

Ulysses S. Grant visits Beaufort

John Allan Stuart marries Claudia Smith

Beaufort, SC

Stuart Plantation

Claudia Smith (b. 8/1/1802), the second eldest "surviving" daughter was actually born the Smith's 5th daughter and 8th child. On 12/9/1823, Claudia married her cousin (degree of relationship explained later) John Allan Stuart (see below for particulars). John Allan Stuart and Claudia Smith had twelve children: James Reeve Stuart (b. 7/12/1825, d. 6/18/1851), never married; John Allan Stuart (b. 2/20/1827, d. 8/14/1828); Julius Henry Walker Stuart (b. 9/30/1828, d. 11/9/1856),

 

John Allan Stuart born.

 

 

Your ancestor (3rd great grandfather) John Allan STUART (above) was b. Mar. 16, 1800 and graduated from Princeton University in 1817. He married Claudia SMITH (b. Aug. 1, 1802) in Beaufort on Dec. 9, 1823. Claudia SMITH was the daughter of James Smith and Marianna Gough (also my 4th great-grandparents). Claudia's eldest brother, Thomas Moore RHETT and his wife, Caroline BARNWELL were my 3rd great-grandparents. John Allan Stuart, became the editor of the "Mercury" a Charleston newspaper, "a factor of great importance" in the political rise of his brother-in-law, Robert Barnwell RHETT, the "father of secession." John Allan Stuart and his wife, Claudia Smith, were 2nd cousins.

James Stoney marries daughter of Dr. George Mosse

Savannah, GA

 The 900 acre plantation bearing the appellation of Otterburn, then Otter Hall and presently Otter Hole, was part of Bayley’s Barony, Lots 12-15 of the Mosse Survey which shows it as chiefly held by planters Thomas Bull and Jeremiah Sayre.  By 1793 when he married Elizabeth, sixteen year old daughter of Dr. George Mosse at her father’s home in Savannah, Otterburn was owned by James Stoney, son of Captain John Stoney.  Only two of their fifteen children survived to maturity, their son, Dr. George Mosse Stoney, born 1795, inheriting Otterburn which he planted while also practicing medicine on the island and in Beaufort where he built the large mansion which was known for years as the Sea Island Hotel.  After his death in 1854 his daughter Emma married Middleton Stuart in 1855 and inherited Otterburn.  The Direct Tax Commission sold it in 1865 for unpaid extortionate federal taxes; the Sea Island Cotton Company sold it in 1888 to the United States Cotton Company which went bankrupt in 1896 at which time W.J. Verdier bought it, later selling it to Thorne and Loomis as Otter Hole.

Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 31

Dr. George Mosse Stoney born.

Beaufort, SC

Dr. George Mosse Stoney born in Beaufort

Emma Stoney marries Middleton Stuart

Beaufort, SC

Emma Stoney marries Middleton Stuart in 1855 and inherits Otterburn.

Otterburn sold in Direct Tax Sale

Beaufort

The Direct Tax Commission sold it in 1865 for unpaid federal taxes; the Sea Island Cotton Company sold it in 1888 to the United States Cotton Company which went bankrupt in 1896 at which time W.J. Verdier bought it, later selling it to Thorne and Loomis as Otter Hole.

Dr. George Mosse Stoney born.

Beaufort, SC

Dr. George Mosse Stoney, born 1795, inheriting Otterburn which he planted while also practicing medicine on the island and in Beaufort where he built the large mansion which was known for years as the Sea Island Hotel.  

Dr. George Mosse Stoney owner of Sea Island Motel dies.

Beaufort, SC

Dr. George Mosse Stoney dies in Beaufort, owner of the Sea Island hotel. John Allan Stuart receives ownership at this time.

1860 Census states Otter Hole is owned by Capt. Middleton Stuart

Beaufort, SC

1860 census suggests that at the time of the Civil War, Otter Hole was owned by Captain Middleton Stuart. 

Captain Delany lists Otter Hole's owners as the U.S. Cotton Company

Beaufort, SC


Captain Delany lists the owners of Otter Hole as the United States Cotton Company in 1867.  In 1897 the company failed and the land was sold by Masters of Equity to (page missing from survey).

Trinkley, Chicora Research Contribution 78, Archaeological Survey of a Portion of Indigo Run Plantation, Hilton Head Island


Sea Island Cotton Company fails.

Beaufort, SC

Sea Island Cotton Company fails.

John Stoney dies in debt.

Beaufort, SC

John Stoney dies in indebtedness. In an effort to pay his creditors, John Stoney mortgaged almost all of his properties to the Bank of Charleston in 1837.  

STONEY, GEORGE M. TO ISAAC BRADWELL, JR., BILL OF SALE FOR 7 SLAVES, WARRANTED SOUND AND HEALTHY.

Beaufort, SC

 STONEY, GEORGE M. TO ISAAC BRADWELL, JR., BILL OF SALE FOR 7 SLAVES, WARRANTED SOUND AND HEALTHY. 


BEN (SLAVE); BRADWELL, ISAAC JR.; ELINOR (SLAVE); FLORA (SLAVE); HETTY (SLAVE); JACOB (SLAVE); JIM (SLAVE); JOE (SLAVE); STONEY, GEORGE M.

George M. Stoney signs petition for Hilton Head Beat Company

Beaufort, SC


Date: 1844 C. 

Description: POPE, WILLIAM AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE HILTON HEAD BEAT COMPANY, PETITION ASKING TO BE EXEMPT FROM REGIMENTAL AND BRIGADE REVIEWS, CITING THE DANGER OF LEAVING THE AREA WITH OUT WHITE MEN, AND THE DIFFICULTY OF TRAVEL WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF PUBLIC FERRIES. (4 PAGES) 

Names indexed: POPE, F. P.; POPE, RICHARD R.; POPE, WILLIAM; POPE, WILLIAM J.; RAOUL, W.; STONEY, GEORGE M.

Locations: BULL ISLAND; DAUFUSKIE ISLAND; HILTON HEAD ISLAND; PINCKNEY ISLAND

Document type: PETITION

Topics: FERRIES; HILTON HEAD BEAT COMPANY; MILITIA AND PATROL LAWS; SLAVES, REGULATION

Plat forfeited for 322 acres on Port Royal Island from Andrew Deveaux

Beaufort, SC

Series: S126102
ignore: 0000
Item: 00165
ignore: 000

Date: 6/10/1782

Description: Deveaux, Andrew, Plat of Forfeited Estate for 322 acres on Port Royal Island.

Names indexed: BULL, STEPHEN; DEVEAUX, ANDREW; MOSSE, GEORGE; TALBIRD, RICHARD

Locations: BROAD RIVER; PORT ROYAL ISLAND

Document type: PLAT

Topics: AMERICAN REVOLUTION; FORFEITED ESTATES; LOYALISTS

George Mosse signs a petition to establish a free school on St Helena Island

Beaufort, SC

Series: S165015
Year: 1786
Item: 00009
ignore: 000

Date: 2/10/1786

Description: SAINT HELENA SOCIETY, PETITION ASKING THAT THEY MAY BE INCORPORATED FOR THE PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING A FREE SCHOOL ON ST. HELENA ISLAND. (4 PAGES) 

Names indexed: ADAMS; FRIPP, JOHN; FRIPP, WILLIAM; MOSSE, GEORGE; WHITING, JOHN

Locations: ST. HELENA ISLAND

Document type: PETITION

Topics: FREE SCHOOLS; ST. HELENA SOCIETY

George Mosse signs petition concerning land he owns in St Helena Island

Beaufort, SC

George Mosse petition concerning lands he owns on St Helena Island

Tax Return John Allan Stuart - Beaufort District

Beaufort, SC

1824 Tax Return of John Allan Stuart

eries: S126061
Year: 1824
Item: 02150
ignore: 000

Date: 3/8/1825

Description: STUART, JOHN A., TAX RETURN FOR SALARIES AND COMMISSIONS IN ST. HELENAS PARISH. 

Names indexed: STUART, JOHN A.; STUART, MIDDLETON

Locations: BEAUFORT DISTRICT; ST. HELENAS PARISH

Document type: 

Topics:

The Ghost of William Baynard and the story of Saucy Jack

Beaufort, SC

The Ghost of William Baynard 
There seems to be several versions of this one. According to this story, the Baynard mausoleum located in Zion Cemetery is haunted by William Baynard. You may remember him as the man who legend says won the plantation from "Saucy Jack" Stoney, thus adding his name to the Stoney-Baynard plantation, whose ruins we visited. "William Baynard lost his young bride to fever in 1830, and he never recovered from his grief. So when it storms at night, the specter of the mourning widower rides his wife’s hearse, driving a ghostly team of four black horses before him."

Another version says that William Baynard's funeral procession can be seen passing by the ruins of the Stoney-Baynard ruins (we kept our eyes open, but to no avail) and his tomb in Zion Cemetery.

In doing a bit of genealogical research, however, it seems that William Baynard married Catherine Adelaide Scott in 1829. They went on to have four children, and he died in 1849. He acquired the Stoney plantation (Braddock's Point Plantation) in 1840. Doesn't seem that his "young bride" died of a fever after all! But facts don't have to play an important role in ghost stories, as we well know!

John (Captain Jack) Stoney arrives in the colonies on the Merchant vessel the "Saucy Jack"

Beaufort, SC

 http://www.heritagelib.org/articles/the-stoneys-the-baynards-and-their-mansion

A mansion on Braddock Point Plantation (in the area now known as Sea Pines) was owned and occupied in the antebellum era by two families, the Stoneys and the Baynards. The tabby home was built by the former and subsequently purchased and later deserted by the latter, so that it is now called the Stoney-Baynard Ruins. The ruins are located off of Plantation Drive.

 

 John (Captain Jack) Stoney, born in Tipperary, Ireland, and his wife, Elizabeth, arrived in South Carolina in 1774 in his own merchant vessel,  the “Saucy Jack.”  He engaged in America’s War for Independence as a privateer, acquired a sizable fortune in the process, and purchased the 1,000-acre Braddock Point Plantation in 1776.  Stoney was one of four Hilton Head patriots honored by the local chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution for their role in America’s struggle for independence, all of whom are buried in the Zion Cemetery. The cemetery is at the junction of US-278 and Matthews Drive.   

 

 In 1793, Stoney, with the help of slave laborers, began the construction of a mansion on the Braddock Point Plantation. It was a structure, 40 by 46 feet, with a tabby foundation. When completed it probably appeared much larger than its 1840 square feet for it apparently had a front porch and may have had another porch that was in effect a wrap-around affair.  

 

 Tabby is a cement used chiefly along the coast of South Carolina and Georgia in the 17th and 18th Centuries; it is made of oyster shells, lime, sand, and water. 

 

 Stoney is also remembered for his role in, with Isaac Fripp, founding in 1788 the Zion Chapel of Ease, an Episcopal church approved by St Luke’s Parish. The chapel was made of wood on a brick foundation and had completely disappeared by three years after the Civil War ended. Its communicants had departed in 1861 with the arrival on the island in November of Federal troops. What remains today of Zion is the  cemetery. 

 

 John Stoney was killed in a hunting accident in 1821 and was initially buried where he fell, near Fish Haul Creek at the other end of the shoe-shaped island from his Braddock Point home. According to the tablet identifying his tomb, John Stoney’s remains were re-buried in the Zion Cemetery in 1959.        

 

 The Stoneys, who became in the early part of the 19th century the largest land owners on Hilton Head,  had two sons who lived to maturity and were in effect partners after their father died. John moved to Charleston where he was a merchant and apparently the manager of the Hilton Head plantations’ finances, while James remained on the island overseeing the property’s agriculture production. That property was considerable: at one time Stoneys owned Fairfield, Possum Point, Shipyard, and Honey Horn Plantations as well as Braddock Point.

 

 James died in 1827, and John, known as “Saucy Jack,” died in 1838, by which time the Stoney property had been mortgaged to the Bank of Charleston.  A melodramatic tale that has received frequent retelling is that “Saucy Jack” lost the Braddock Point property to William E. Baynard in a high-stakes poker game. It is more likely that Baynard purchased the 1,000 acre plantation from the Charleston bank for $10,000 in 1840.

 

William Eddings Baynard came to Hilton Head from Edisto; at the time he acquired the Braddock Point property he already owned Spanish Wells and Muddy Creek Plantations on Hilton Head, and there at those plantations and at Braddock Point he raised the well-regarded and highly profitable Sea Island (long-staple) cotton . A research project by the Chicora Foundation provides some data on Baynard’s Braddock Point Plantation. Its report notes that an 1850 South Carolina Agriculture Census indicates that the plantation produced 36 bales of cotton (a bale or bag of long staple cotton weighed between 300 and 400 pounds), 1,000 bushels of corn, 500 bushels of peas, 1,000 bushels of sweet potatoes, and 350 pounds of butter. It was estimated that crops and animals were valued at $12,000, a sizeable amount in 1850 dollars. The Chicora report noted that “in comparison with other known Hilton Head plantations the Baynard Plantation appears to meet the norm -- clearly more wealthy than some, less than others.”

 

 

 

That William E. Baynard moved from Edisto to become a permanent Hilton Head resident is supported by the fact that he had had constructed in Zion Cemetery in 1845 a mausoleum. It is now the oldest remaining intact structure on Hilton Head.

 

Baynard died in 1849, four years after the mausoleum was built, when he was 49 years of age. He was joined in the mausoleum by his widow five years later. 

 

 The tomb is currently empty which is credible confirmation of reports that the mausoleum has been the object of scavengers, although tales as to who and when illegal entries were made cannot now be confirmed -- nor can the ghost stories associated with the mausoleum and the Baynards. 

 

 The Baynard holdings were inherited by William’s son, Ephram, who retained and managed them until 1861. When the Union Army occupied the island in November of that year Baynard, like the communicants of Zion’s Chapel and most of the landowners in Hilton Head, departed. 

 

The Baynards later paid $533 in back taxes they owed so they could reclaim the Hilton Head property but the family never attempted to rebuild the mansion.           

 

Federal forces are said to have used the Braddock Point mansion as quarters as late as 1864. Subsequently it was burned;  some say Confederates were the arsonists. What remains are the mansion’s tabby foundation,  a corner wall, and the foundations of several outbuildings, plus informative postings for the benefit of visitors to the ruins.

Place Details

Edit
@title@:
Fallon N. Green: is born 1
George M. Stoney:
Buys the Sea Island Hotel 1

Looking for more information about Beaufort: A People's History?

Search through millions of records to find out more.

About this Memorial Page

×