Hamilton Beatty was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, in 1786, came with his parents to Westmoreland countyin 1810. In 1824 he became jointly with his brother, John, the owner of the Beatty homestead. He served with honor in the War of 1812 and assisted in the building of Fort Meigs. He was one of the prosperous and substantial citizens of the community and served in various public capacities. He was a lifelong Democrat. He was one of the devoted members of the United Presbyterian church, serving as a member of its board of elders for fifty-six years.His death occurred at Beatty Station, July 10, 1871, in his eighty-fifth year. On September 1, 1817, he married Sarah Anderson, born September 27, 1796, died May 25 1879, a daughter of Colonel William and Nancy (Tittle) Anderson. Of this marriage seven children were born, three dying in infancy; those attaining maturity were: Mrs. Nancy Tittle (Beatty) George, John Beatty, Jr., Mrs. Martha Chamberlain (Beatty) Baldridge, and Mrs. Sarah Ann (Beatty) Adams.