About this page
This page is locked. Want to contribute to this page? Contact fold3_catalog
The Commission Branch was established in the Office of the Adjutant General in January 1863 to handle the correspondence and other paperwork concerning Regular Army officers, Volunteer officers in the staff corps appointed by the President, hospital stewards, ordnance sergeants, and post and regimental sutlers. After the establishment of national cemeteries in February 1867, the Commission Branch also was in charge of matters relating to cemetery superintendents. On January 1, 1871, the Branch was renamed the Appointment, Commission, and Personal Branch (hereafter called ACP). The ACP continued to handle personnel correspondence until July 1894, when such records were filed in the document file of the Adjutant General's Office (AGO).
The publication Letters Received by the Commission Branch of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1863-1870 (NARA M1064) is part of Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1780's-1917, Record Group 94.