11 May 1844 — Fort Gibson, C.N.
Letter of Condolence from brother officers based at Fort Gibson, C.N. (Cherokee Nation).
"At a meeting of the Officers of the Army serving at Fort GIbson C.N. convended on intelligence being received of the death of First Lieutenant B.C. Edes, R? Infantry, at Key West, Florida, in the 30th of March last. (1844)
Lieutenant Col. G. Loomis, R? Infantry, being called to the chair, and Lieutenant Charles Lovell, R? Infantry, appointed Secretary, the following resolutions were adopted.
Resolved - That the premature death of our friend and late associate, Lieutenant Benjamin C. Edes of the Sixth Regiment of Infantry, after a long and protracted illness has excited in us emotions of the most profound sorrow for the loss of one entitled by his professional and social qualities, to the respect and esteem of those with whom he been connected during his military career.
Resolved - That while we cordially sympathize with his relatives in their bereavement and with them bow in humble submission to the decrees of an inscrutable Providence we feel assured, that we may not mourn as they that are without hope.
Resolved -That we will wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days.
Resolved - That a copy of these resolutions be sent to his relatives, and one to the Editors of the Army and Navy Chronicle and Baltimore American for publication.
Charles S. Lovell - Secretary
G. Loomis, Lt. Col. 6th Inf Reg. Cmdg.
B Randall - Surgeon US Army
( and various other illegible signatures)
Fort Gibson C.N.
May 11th, 1844.
Notes about Fort Gibson
Fort Gibson, now located in Oklahoma in what is called Fort Gibson Historical Site, was established April 20, 1824 in Indian Territory by Col. Matthew Arbuckle. It was named for Col. George Gibson, head of the Army Commissary Department. The fort was the westernmost in the north?south chain of forts intended to protect the frontier in the American West. Jefferson Davis, later president of the Confederacy was one of over one hundred West Point cadets stationed at the fort. Also stationed at the fort was Nathan Boone, son of the famous explorer Daniel Boone. Sam Houston owned a trading post in the area after leaving Tennessee and before moving to Texas. In 1832 Washington Irving launched his 'Tour of the Prairies' from the fort writing a book of the same name. In 1834 Gen. Henry Leavenworth led the dragoons on a peace mission to the west. Gen Leavenworth died during the march, and was replaced by Col Henry Dodge. Famous artist George Catlin also traveled with the dragoons. The army first abandoned the fort in 1857. During the Civil War, Union troops occupied the fort, which they called Fort Blunt.