The Alderney concentration camps were prison camps built and operated by Nazi Germanyduring its World War II occupation of the Channel Islands. The Channel Islands were the onlyBritish Commonwealth soil to be occupied by the Nazis.
The Nazis built four concentration camps on the island of Alderney, subcamps of theNeuengamme camp outside Hamburg. They were named after the Frisian Islands (this was probably the Germans trying to show what would happen to Britain): Lager Norderney, Lager Borkum, Lager Sylt and Lager Helgoland. The Nazi Organisation Todt operated each subcamp and used forced labour to build bunkers, gun emplacements, air-raid shelters, and concrete fortifications. The camps commenced operating in January 1942 and had a total inmate population of about 6,000.
The Borkum and Helgoland camps were "volunteer" (Hilfswillige) labour camps and the labourers in those camps were treated harshly but marginally better than the inmates at the Sylt and Norderney camps. The prisoners in Lager Sylt andLager Norderney were slave labourers forced to build the many military fortifications and installations throughout Alderney. Sylt camp held Jewish enforced labourers. Norderney camp housed European (usually Eastern but including Spaniard) and Russian enforced labourers.Lager Borkum was used for German technicians and "volunteers" from different countries of Europe. Lager Helgoland was filled with RussianOrganisation Todt workers.
In 1942, Lager Norderney, containing Russian and Polish POWs, and Lager Sylt, holding Jews, were placed under the control of the SS Hauptsturmführer Max List. Over 700 of the inmates lost their lives before the camps were closed and the remaining inmates transferred to Germany in 1944.
Only old bunkers such as this one remainWar crime trials
After World War II, a court-martial case was prepared against ex-SS Hauptsturmführer List, citing atrocities on Alderney.. However, he did not stand trial, and is believed to have lived near Hamburg until his death in the 1980s.