Photos (2) Add Images
Places mentioned on this page
Connected Pages Add Page
Links Add Link
Share Ludwig's Memorial page on Facebook
About this page
Anyone can contribute to this page. Please sign in or sign up—it's free.
There are no facts. Add Fact
Genealogy of the Ludwig Bretz family: 1750-1890
1776 | Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy of the Ludwig Bretz family: 1750-1890, by E.W.S. Parthemore, A Great Great Grand Son, Harrisburg, PA, Harrisburg Publishing Company, 1890.
Aug 15 1750, ship Royal Union, Clement Nicholson, captain, from Rotterdam, landed at Philadelphia with 248 male passengers on board above age of 16; among them were Wendel, Henry, and Ludwig Bretz. Henry & Ludwig are marked "on board" and probably confined by sickness. Probably first located in Germantown, Philadelphia. Wendel Bretz left children at his death & no doubt some of his descendants are residing in Carlisle Pa. Henry Bretz also left issue and possibly family of that name who resided for so many years in the vicinity of West Fairview, Cumberland Co are of his descendants.
Ludwig Bretz's place of birth is unknown but he belongs to German race & was follower of Martin Luther, in which faith he lived and died. Settled as early as 1760 in what is now Lancaster Co Pa where he was possessor of a farm which he sold short time prior to the Revolutionary war. Became one of the first settlers in Lykens Valley, about five miles n of Millersburg near the Mahantango mountain, where he possessed a small farm and resided the remainder of his days.
Ludwig Bretz died 1807, buried in Lutheran graveyard belonging to what was then St. David's Lutheran and Reformed Church, now known as Killinger P.O., Dauphin Co., PA; became member of Captain Albright Diebler's Company of Associators of the Fourth Battalion, commanded by Col. James Burd - active service nearly a year, participating in the New Jersey campaign and in battles of Trenton and Princeton, returning home in Jan 1777. A portion of the command was captured at battle of Long Island, Ludwig Bretz being wounded in this battle. April 23 1781, Ludwig Bretz returned as sergeant of Captain Martin Weaver's company which was in service protecting inhabitants from the Indians which threatened the settlements of the West Branch Valley.
Ludwig Bretz married Elizabeth. All following b in Lykens Valley
- Mary b abt 1761; m Emanuel Duey
- Catherine b abt 1763; m Christian Wirt
- Elizabeth b Oct 17 1765; m Henry Bomgardner
- Susan b Jan 20 1770 m Henry Meck
- John b Dec 15 1771, m Catharine Fox
- Ludwig b abt 1773 m Ann Moyer
- Magdalena b ? Lykens Valley, Dauphin County PA; died vicinity of Mifflinburg, Union County, PA; m Robert Dunbar & moved to Youngmanstown, now Mifflinburg, Union Co PA where his wife died after they resided there only a year or two and left him one or two children. After her death he removed to one of the Western States and all efforts to learn of him and his descendants have failed.
Mary Bretz born abt 1761 Lykens Valley, Dauphin Co PA died in the year 1834 in West Hanover Twp, Dauphin County, Penna.; m Emanuel Duey b Feb 17 1755; d in the year 1834 and he and his wife are buried in old graveyard at Shoop's Church, Dauphin Co PA. They had issue (surname Duey):
- John b Feb 5 1783 m Charlotte Ruter
- Simon b Dec 11 1784 m (1) Elizabeth Hotz; (2) Maria Wolf
- Susannah b Nov 20 1786 m Elisha Stone
- Jacob b Aug 18 1789 m Elizabeth Ramsey
- Catharine b Nov 11 1791; m Jacob Dubbs
- Mary b Dec 14 1793 m David Pool
- Frederick b Mar 24 1796 m Barbara Peiffer
- Eva b oct 22 1898 d in Fishing Creek Valley, Dauphin Co PA; m Nov 16 1820 by Rev. H. Van Hoff, Michael Palm. They had no issue and both are buried in some farm graveyard in Fishing Creek Valley, Dauphin Co Pa.
- Elizabeth b Apr 3 1805 m George Straw
John Duey b Feb 5 1783 d Aug 20 1858. In 1833 removed to Centre Co PA m Charlotte Ruter of Lancaster Co Pa. they had (surname Duey)
- Mary b Jun 9 1807; m Thomas Duey and had issue John Duey residing at South Bend, Ind
- Martha b Oct 29 1810 d Sep 12 1880 near Hummelstown Pa; m John Lingle b Sep 26 1809 d Oct 11 1880 and with his wife are buried in the Hummelstown Pa cemetery; no issue
- Eliza b May 12 1813; d.s.p.
- Emanuel b Mar 4 1816 m Mary Ann Carter
- Lavina b Oct 31 1819 m Robert Edminston
- Lavina Duey b Oct 31 1819 m Jan 6 1842 Robert Edminston b Aug 17 1814; they reside in Centre County Pa; had issue (surname Edminston):
- William A b Jan 16 1843 d Jan 6 1888
- Charlotte b Nov 24 1844; married, residing at Osceola Pa
- Joseph b Dec 4 1845, resides at State College PO Centre Co Pa
- Eliza b July 14 1847