17 Jun 1806 — St. Lukes Parish, Beaufort, SC
The estate inventory of John Grimball, made 17 June 1806, lists the names of more than 70 enslaved ancestors.
Ancestors were listed in families, and four Africans are listed by name.
We invite you to contribute images, stories and information to this page.
To view the document, please click on the images attached to this page.
This document was indexed and made searchable by Khalisa Jacobs.
"Negroes Appraised in Families:"
· Friday, Hannah, Welcome, Dinah, Sarah, Sylvia & Cloe
· John, Nanny, Beck, Tom, Judy & Little Amy
· Ned, Amy, Wan, Carolina, Little Jim, Little Sally & Venus
· Jack, Kate, Chloe, Pompey, Marria & Rachael
· Mingo, Rose, Little Kate & Israel
· Lydia, Moll & Amos
· Dick, Phillis & Harry
· Stepney, Little Hannah, Toney, Charlotte, Little Stepney & Phoebe
· Ishmael, Jenny, Flora, Andrew, January & Little Phillis
· Amelia, Little Tamer, Harriot & Sam
· Sampson, Betty, Nelly, Cudgo & Jacob
· Herod & Mary
· Billy, Little Phoebe, Tamer, Little Billy, Lucy, Judy
· Jim, Monemia & Mary
· Ralph, Phoebe, Doll & Clarinda
· Sally, Sam, Patty, Ned & Henry
· Indian Land Will
· Edisto Will
· Old Affee
"The following ten Negroes were purchased were purchased after the Will of the said John Grimball was executed, of Dr. St. Mark:"