East Carolina Indian School 1944 - 1965
In 1911, the Coharie asked North Carolina to provide Indian schools in Sampson County. In that same year, the Coharie established New Bethel Indian School in New Bethel Township, Sampson County. In 1912, the Coharie established a school in Herring Township, after the first year of which, the state stopped supporting the school. Following the precedent set by the Lumbee Indians of Robeson County, the Coharie established a semi-independent school system wherein North Carolina retained some oversight. While the state legislature rescinded its permission in 1913, it reinstated the separate Coharie school system four years later given the activism of the tribe and the assistance of its tribal attorney. Thus, in 1917, the East Carolina Indian School was built in Herring Township, and in 1942, East Carolina Indian School was established in Sampson County.
Photos (51) Add Images
Connected Pages Add Page
There are no related pages for East Carolina Indian School 1944 - 1965.
Links Add Link
About this page
Anyone can contribute to this page. Please sign in or sign up—it's free.