Van Zandt County, Texas
From Van Zandt County, Texas Histories and Biographies 1848-1983, Vol. 1,p. 42:
Way back in the early youth of our county, a progressive character by name of Goerge W. Swindall located in this territory and soon acquired a bit of real estate in the vicinity. At an early date Mr. Swindall donated to the little community a plot of ground as a school site. This school was located just west of the present business section and immediately south of the lot later, on September 27, 1891, deeded by Mr.Swindall to the Methodist church; the same lot on which the splendid two-story brick building now stands. For several years the name of the school and settlement was known as Swindall, after its benefactor. About the year 1874, one of Swindall's citizens, locally known as "RattyTowns", conceived the idea of launching a business enterprise in thecommunity. He opened a store and operated it for a few years and then sold it to Josh and A.R. Tunnell. During the business life of this establishment, the name of the burg of Swindall bore the name (believe it or not) of "Who'd A Thought It. Mr Swindall had little idea of the potential wealth of the school and church lots he had generously donated. The one and one-half acre lot deeded to the Methodist Church now has a producing oil well on it, producing, at the present daily allowable, 73 barels of oil per day. The discovery of the so-called "black gold" in the old Swindall community spread far and wide and with cyclonic rapidity. Many of her citizens who had found it difficult fors ome years to make a subsistence for themselves and their families,suddenly found themselves softly cradled in a lap of wealth. In only a few brief years Van emerged from obscurity and began to put on the habiliments of a bustleing east Texas Oil Town.