Summary

This man is the same Hanyost House who was recommended for appoint as a second lieutenant in a company of nine months men to be transferred to the New York State Line for a period of nine months starting circa April 1, 1776. This company was to be commanded by Captain Jacob W. Seeber of the Fourth Company of the Canajoharie District Regiment of Tryon County, New York Militia (“The Papers of the Tryon County Committee of Safety” housed in the New-York Historical Society, New York, New York). Though actual documentation, outside of Revolutionary War Pension Applications, has yet to be found it appears that Seeber and House were incorporated into the Fourth New Jersey Regiment of the Line, “the Jersey Blues”, under the immediate command of Colonel Elias Dayton. Dayton’s men were responsible for the construction of Fort Dayton in the now Village of Herkimer, New York and for beginning the reconstruction of Fort Stanwix at Rome, New York in the summer of 1776. To date, no record of the activities of Mister House can be located for the year 1777; however, in the Miscellaneous Numbered Records (The Manuscript File) in the War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records, 1775-1790s, (National Archives Microfilm Publication M859 [hereafter: M859]), are records of a Lieutenant Hanyost House who was serving as a quartermaster in the service of the State of New York. Mister House reappears in Tryon County on July 2, 1778 as the Assistant Deputy Commissary General of Issues in charge of the Fort Plank, New York Issuing Commissary and as which he served until resigning on October 31, 1778 (“The Colonel Charles Stewart Papers” in the New York State Historical Association of Cooperstown, New York; and, M859). In November of 1778, House rejoined the Sixth Company of the Canajoharie District Regiment of Tryon County Militia under the command of Captain Abraham Coapman and once again took on his original (1775) appointment as first lieutenant of the company. The lieutenants having replaced him being his cousin, George Rosner who died in the Battle of Oriskany on August 6, 1777, and his cousin Jacobus Rosner (a brother to George Rosner) who died shortly after the Battle of Oriskany (Records of the New York State Comptroller, AO200, in the New York State Archives of Albany, New York [hereafter AO200). On March 4, 1780, House was appointed captain of the Sixth Company and served as such until being promoted to major of the Canajoharie District Regiment on October 8, 1793 ("Military Minutes of the Council of Appointments of the State of New York", page 269). Mister House “regularly” resigned his major’s commission on January 4, 1802, most likely having attained the age of 60 when he would become no longer eligible to serve in the Militia (ditto, page 571). Johan Joseph House was born circa September 30, 1742,a son of Johann Jost and Otillia (Waggoner) Haus. He passed away on July 22, 1824 and was buried in the Geisenburgh Cemetery of Minden Township, New York (the Gravestone of Joseph House). He married Elizabeth Young, a daughter of prominent Loyalist Johann Adam Young who was also a niece of Loyalist Frederick Young, a former King’s Justice (“Records of the Minutes of the Commission to Extinguish Claims against the State of New York” in the New York State Archives in Albany, New York Collection No. B0964 pages 127-9). Prior to his father-in-laws departure for Canada, House & his wife received title to all of Johann Adam Young’s Estate (ditto). Joseph and Elizabeth, through the death of Elizabeth’s uncle, Frederick Young in the King’s Garrison at Niagara, New York in December of 1777, also became heirs-at-law to one-fourth of the Estate of Frederick Young and as a result received enormous compensation for their losses in the Revolutionary War (ditto). To date no one has joined either the “Daughters of the American Revolution” or the “Sons of the American Revolution”. The author of this piece being a first cousin, many generations removed, through three sibling’s of Johann Jost Haus. Much more on the Military career and the family of Mister House can be found in either “The Bloodied Mohawk”, by Fort Plank Historian Ken D. Johnson, or at www.fort-plank.com.

More…

Related Pages

+

Pictures & Records (3)

Add Show More

Personal Details

Add Facts

Looking for more information about Joseph House?

Search through millions of records to find out more.

Add

Stories

About this Memorial Page

×