Revolutionary War Pension File: S24032 . See at Heritage Quest online. Also on Footnote.com
pg 245: "While residing in Stamford, Connecticut, he enlisted and served as a private with the Connecticut troops as follows: from Sept 15, 1776, six or seven months in Captain (John) Hobby's company; Colonel John Head's Regiment; from the later part of April 1777 six months in Captain Smith's company; Colonel Mead's Reg; from April 1778 three months as a ranger under Colonel Mead; from Nov 2, 1781, four months in Captain Nathaniel Edward's Company under Colonel Shipman. He was also called out at various times for short tours or alarms until the end of the war under Captain Smith. He stated that he was at the burning of Danbury and in engagements at Bedford and Horse Neck and that he was present when General Putnam rode down the steps near Stamford.
After the Revolution, he resided in Amsterdam, NY for 18 years; then resided in Otsego, Otsego County, NY for twenty-two years; and then in Butternuts, Otsego, NY where he had been residing for 4 years when he was allowed pension on his application executed May 30, 1833. In 1841, he was living in Smyrna, Chenango, New York. Children are referred to; their names and name of soldier's wife not given. No formal application ever made by anyone claiming to be a widow of Joseph Youngs.
Soldier had a brother, Thomas, who served with him. After the death of Thomas, his widow Anne or Anna married a Mr. Jobes (or Joles) . It is stated that she (Anna) is the mother of the Honorable Samuel Youngs of NY state.
In 1833, a Clement Youngs lived in same neighborhood; no relationship given.
In 1842, his daughter Mindwell Youngs ______ died in Smyrna, NY. Perhaps he lived with her.
MILITARY: Revolutionary War http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyotsego/vetsplaques.htm
RESIDENCE: Stamford, CT prior to Revolutionary War
After Revolution: Amsterdam, NY for 18 years
Then Otsego, Otsego, NY for 22 years
Butternuts, Otsego, NY--abt 1829- was there four years in 1833 when received pension
1841 Symnra, Chenango, NY
RESIDENCE: ONEONTA -- was formed from Unadilla, Feb. 5, 1796, as "Otego." Its name was changed April 17, 1830. It is the central town upon the S. border of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valley of the Susquehanna, which extends N. E. and S. W. through the S. part. Otego Creek and several small streams flow into the Susquehanna from the N. A range of hills 500 ft. high extends along the S. E. bank of the Susquehanna. The center and N. part are hilly, and broken by narrow and irregular valleys. The summits are 150 to 300 ft. above the valleys. The soil is gravel, slate, and clay on the uplands, and gravelly loam and alluvium upon the river bottoms. Oneonta, (p.v.,) in the S. part, on the Susquehanna was incorp. Oct. 14, 1848. It contains 3 churches, a newspaper office, woolen factory, carriage factory, iron foundery, tannery, gristmill, sawmill, and distillery. Pop. 678. West Oneonta (p.v.) contains 15 dwellings; Oneonta Plains, 2 churches, and a dozen houses. Henry Scramlin and __ Youngs settled in town previous to the Revolution.1 The first religious association (Presb.) was formed at Oneonta Village, in 1786; Rev. Alexander Conkey was the first preacher, when the church was built in 1816.2
1 Aaron Brink, Frederick Brown, and __ McDonald were among the early settlers at Oneonta Village. James Youngs settled at the mouth of Charlotte River; Baltus Himmel, N. of the village; Abraham Houghtaling, Jacob Elias Brewer, and Peter Swartz, in the N. part of the town, in 1786; and Josiah Peck, on Oneonta Creek. The first birth was that of Abraham Houghtaling, 2d, in 1786. Baltus Himmel kept the first inn, and Peter Dintney the first store. John Vanderworker erected the first gristmill.